Dr Baker
Dr Baker, Family Physician
Experience:  MD
108371854

My father is having more and more frequent episodes of

Customer Question

My father is having more and more frequent episodes of disorientation. He freezes for a few minutes and then can’t remember where he is or what he’s doing. Is this Alzheimer’s ? Or could it be something else ?
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: He has an appointment at à memory clinic on Friday. He is not currently on any medication.
JA: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?
Customer: none and no
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I don’t think so. It is now happening several times a week
Expert:  Dr Baker replied 14 days ago.

Thank you for contacting Just Answer

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Expert:  Dr Baker replied 14 days ago.

I am sorry to hear. This could be a sign of Dementia as you have suggested.

Expert:  Dr Baker replied 14 days ago.

It would be reasonable to investigate this to see if something can be done to help him with it

Expert:  Dr Baker replied 14 days ago.

I am unable to take the call until later today, which I am happy to arrange or we can message?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I prefer to message.
Expert:  Dr Baker replied 14 days ago.

Thanks. So you this important initially to have bloods as certain deficiencies such as folate deficiency can aggravate this. If this is normal then it would be reasonable to have a formal memory assessment and an MRI head if possible. These are important as a deficiency can be corrected, and if this is Dementia there are medications which can actually improve the symptoms and delay the progression.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
He recently had some blood tests and everything was normal. He does take supplements. Iron is one.
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Also vitamin D and C
Expert:  Dr Baker replied 14 days ago.

Okay thanks. So if his b12 and folate were fine, he now just needs and MRI and assessment

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Will they do this on our first appointment at the memory clinic or will we have to wait ?
Expert:  Dr Baker replied 14 days ago.

The assessment yes, the MRI would be a different appointment

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I’m concerned that we get a quick diagnosis so that we can make arrangements for me to be closer to him and to see how we need to manage it.
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Someone suggested it could be epilepsy. Is that a possibility ?
Expert:  Dr Baker replied 14 days ago.

I understand, It doesn’t sound like epilepsy.