Dr Josh
Dr Josh, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Medicine Doctor
6740150

I think that I might have hemarroids. After I pass stool

Customer Question

Hi, I think that I might have hemarroids.
JA: What are all your symptoms? Have you talked to a doctor about the hemorrhoids?
Customer: After I pass stool there is blood in the toilet bowl and there is a lump near my anus. No I haven't spoken to a doctor. I just moved so I am not registered with any yet. I read online that they can go away on their own if you eat more fiber and adjust your lifestyle to prevent it.
JA: Got it. When was your last doctor visit? What did you discuss?
Customer: I went to the hospital for an infected cat bite last month and they gave me me antibiotics.
JA: Thank you so much for your time. Finally, is there anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: No, I don't think there is
Expert:  Dr Josh replied 14 days ago.

Hi there! I’m Dr. Josh, a Board Certified Physician with 15+ years of experience in clinical practice and I would serve you with care and patience.

Please note- All phone call requests are auto-generated and you may ignore these requests. Communicating through text chat is just fine with me.

Expert:  Dr Josh replied 14 days ago.

Respected customer,

I am sorry to hear about your problem, but please do not worry. I will try my best to resolve this issue.

Before I answer your question, I would like to get some more information:

Do you suffer from constipation?

I am waiting for your reply..

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I do often but not all the time
Expert:  Dr Josh replied 14 days ago.

Did you pass blood after passing stool?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
a few times
Expert:  Dr Josh replied 14 days ago.

Since when have you had this issue?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
It has happened a couple times a couple years ago and since since yesterday it happened 3 times.
Expert:  Dr Josh replied 14 days ago.

Respected customer

I appreciate all this additional information you have given.

Please give me a few minutes to review this and type up an answer.

Thanks for your cooperation and patience.

Expert:  Dr Josh replied 14 days ago.

Respected Customer,

Thanks for all these additional details.

I am sorry to hear about your problem and I know how worrisome this situation can be for you but hopefully, we can resolve this.

From the description, it, sounds to be External Hemorrhoids.

You can use Preparation H Cream, available as OTC, It works as a topical anesthetic, vasoconstrictor, and skin protectant. It also temporarily shrinks hemorrhoidal tissue.
Also, you can use a Hydrocortisone steroid cream on the affected area.

You should have a sitz bath, it means you need to soak your anal area in plain warm water 10 to 15 minutes 2-3 times a day.

Apply ice packs or cold compresses on your anus to relieve swelling. After wiping, dab a small amount of Petroleum Jelly or Zinc Oxide on a cotton ball and apply it to the swollen area.

Maintain good hydration with Gatorade.
Start Culturelle probiotic and Citrucel and Gas X.
Eat a BRATY diet(Banana, rice, applesauce, toast, and yogurt).
Take proper rest. Avoid straining.

Do regular exercises.

Constipation is the most common cause.

Take high-fiber foods, which include beans, whole grains, bran cereals, fresh fruits, and vegetables such as asparagus,brussels sprouts, cabbage, and carrots.

One should avoid alcohol and smoking( if you do).

Avoid these food items-

· cheese

· chips

· fast food

· ice cream

· meat

· prepared foods, such as some frozen and snack foods

You can eat Whole Grains. You can include a lot of whole grains in your diet like brown rice, oats, and whole wheat bread.

Having clear chicken bone broth would be helpful.

You can have fruits, Fruits have fiber, vitamins, and minerals that are good for your health. You can eat fruits with their skin like apples, grapes, prunes, and berries, these are particularly beneficial.

Yogurt is one of the best foods for maintaining intestinal health.

You can eat Dry Figs, It can also also be helpful.

Exercises and plenty of fluids would help.

Please follow the above measures, and follow changes in lifestyle and dietary habits, and you would get good results.

Hope I have been able to clarify the situation for you and helped in resolving your query.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or if you want to discuss this further.

Get well soon!

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Where can I find these creams?
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I can only find preparation H gel or ointment no cream
Expert:  Dr Josh replied 14 days ago.

You can get such cream at a nearby pharmacy/store, These are available over the counter without a doctor's prescription.

Yes, please use preparation H gel, it would be very helpful.

Also, please get Hydrocortisone steroid cream from stores.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you,

I am available to answer any follow-up questions you may have, so please feel free to ask.

We can continue here until you are satisfied, use the reply box and let me know.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Okay I will ask in the pharmacy, thank you.Also, how is smoking related to this?
Expert:  Dr Josh replied 14 days ago.

As such, smoking can damage the delicate tissues of the anus and rectum and may worsen the hemorrhoids.

If possible, avoid smoking.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
okay thank you.
Expert:  Dr Josh replied 14 days ago.

You are very welcome! I am very glad I could help!