Caring doc
Caring doc, Doctor
Experience:  Internal Medicine Specialist. MBBS,MD
25020506

I haven’t had intercourse for a good number of years (approx

Customer Question

I haven’t had intercourse for a good number of years (approx 15) and believe that it has shrunk in size. Previously I suffered with pain and wasn’t able to accommodate my then partner due to the size. I was too embarrassed n still am to speak to someone face t face. I’m hoping to become intimate with someone new - don’t want for this narrowing to affect a potential sex life. What would you advise please?
JA: How long have you been dealing with this issue? Any other skin concerns?
Customer: I’ve always had this issue and haven’t had penetrative intercourse for over 15 years - I’m 53. I had severe endometriosis that caused tremendous pain n had to have a hysterectomy at 26. We never really managed intercourse well due to my narrow vagina
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Nothing else thanks
Expert:  Caring doc replied 15 days ago.
Hi.Welcome to just answer.I am caring doc.I can help you today.
I am reviewing your question please give me some time.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Did you ever have penetrative sex?
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I became pregnant at 25 but had a c-section. Tbh I just always found sex really painful - even after endometriosis cleared after hysterectomy. I’ve only ever had one sexual partner
you had hysterectomy?
What age?
Did the sex become more painful after that?
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I had hysterectomy aged 26. No it wasn’t any more painful, I tried lubricant but nothing much helped. It was always difficult and sometimes painful for my former partner to enter my vagina - it just seemed too narrow
Ok I am typing my answer please give me some time.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
No problem, thank you for your help
Respected customer, the vaginal narrowing is not a possibility if you ever had sex before. Yes there is a possibility that you have certain underlying problems that can make sex more painful like:
Vaginismus
Endometriosis
Dryness
Ovarian cysts.
If you feel more pain during penetration, it is Vaginismus or dryness, and if it was deep penetration pain, it was most likely endometriosis.
Anyway you are in menopause now,whatever the reason was at that time,now there are other factors that can make penetrative sex more difficult like low estrogen levels and vaginal atrophy.
I would recommend following things:
Use long lasting water based vaginal moisturizers like Replens.
Use water based lubricants before sex.
Discuss with your doctor if you can have vaginal estrogen cream,it helps with painful sex and other symptoms of atrophic vaginitis.
Discuss with your doctor about vaginal dilators. Vaginal dilators (also known as vaginal trainers) are tools to help restore or expand the pelvic floor muscles and vaginal tissues. They help women to begin or resume vaginal penetration.
Dilators typically come in a set of progressively larger sizes so the stretching and desensitization can occur gently and gradually.It can make your vagina more roomy if you have problems like Vaginismus.
I hope it helps.
Let me know if you have any questions please.
I would be glad to help you further.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Thanks so much for your help. I’ll try and get an appointment with a gp at my practice. I’ll do some reading to try and understand vaginismus as well as get the moisturiser and lubricant you suggested. Thanks for your sensitive handling of my question.
You are most welcome:)
I am so glad I was able to help you today!
Have a great day!
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
You too, thanks
Thanks!!