Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  board certified internal medicine
19706630

Have long term breathing issues, palpitations racing heart.

Customer Question

Have long term breathing issues, palpitations racing heart. Seen two cardiologists and been cleared. Often though on top of this the breathing issues are worse when I get hungry, like to the point where its like I can't physically take a breath like the muscles don't work and eating relieves it normally but often the actually act of eating can be difficult, like the muscles in my mouth aren't working and it's hard to chew. What the heck could this be? Blood sugar normal
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 14 days ago.
Hi. I’m Dr. Mark. I’m a board certified physician and happy to assist you. I need some additional information.
Age and gender?
Chest pain on exertion?
Weight loss?
What tests did the doctors do?
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
23 yo male. Not normally pain but occasionally. Had echo, ecg,
And a stress test (could only stay on it for like 3 mins though so was limited)
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
No weight loss
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 14 days ago.
It’s very unlikely that you have coronary artery blockage at your age. The normal echocardiogram is great news. Maybe you’re breathing problem is a lung issue. Such as asthma. Or are you not in good physical condition? You didn’t last long on the stress test. Don’t know why. They should do a pulmonary function test to assess you lung function.
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I think the Dr has considered asthma in the past and ruled it out. I went for lung test but felt it was too hard to get any breath down the tube and I was feeling very anxious, they then gave me pump of stuff and got me to do it again and there was no noticeable improvement so I think they must have ruled it out as I never heard anything else. Ehy is it worse when hungry and when eating?
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 14 days ago.
I don’t know why it’s worse . I’ve never heard of that. Are you anxious? You weren’t able to complete the stress test or lung function study.
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
My cardiologist felt that my hr got to a sufficient level that he could discharge me after the test. Does that suggest anxiety and is he lying when he says he got enough info from it
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I have autism and somatoform autonomic dysfunction
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 14 days ago.
These are why then you have these symptoms.
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I don't believe that it is somatic though
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 14 days ago.
Well so far the tests have been normal.
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Breathing worse when I sing, especially low notes
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 14 days ago.
Then repeat the pulmonary function test to see if there’s a lung problem.
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Will I die in the mean time? Is it safe to sing? I've been suffering this a number of years and nothing has yet been found. Think it's been 5 years. I've been to emergency room 127 times apparently I was told recently Will I die in the mean time? Is it safe to sing? I've been suffering this a number of years and nothing has yet been found. Think it's been 5 years. I've been to emergency room 127 times apparently I was told recently
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 14 days ago.
You won’t die. It’s safe to sing.
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Video of what it often looks like
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 14 days ago.
That’s from anxiety or tics.
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Sometimes it's different from that and feels more like breathlessness it seems to present in a few different ways
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 14 days ago.
Your were hyperventilating.
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
the issue is somatic as opposed to lung?
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 14 days ago.
It may be if all of the tests are normal.
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Would some dr somewhwre have shown some xoncern by now? I've had chest x rays. Would that breathing I showed you be a concern in an emergency room setting?
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 14 days ago.
Something would have shown up abnormal in the tests by now. What I saw was hyperventilating and that’s not a serious concern.
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
would you suggest I'm safe? Am I Deffo not gonna die? What is risk of cardiac arrest after normal echo and holter and a sort of stress test
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 14 days ago.
You’re safe a d not going to die. No risk of a cardiac arrest.
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I'm sure you can't say but it would mean so much for my autism if you could tell me where you are based in the US and what you specialise in. I have a hard time trusting rhe Dr's on here because of my autism but you've been amazing
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 14 days ago.
I’m in Philadelphia area. I am in internal medicine specialist and treat heart and lung diseases.