Zee J
Zee J,
Experience:  Expert
113630574

Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are

Customer Question

Hi my name is*****: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: I’m not taking any medication
JA: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?
Customer: No
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I want to know about stoma reversal
Expert:  Zee J replied 13 days ago.

Hello and thanks for your question. I’d be pleased to assist you. Kindly answer following questions for further advice:

Age? Male or female?

Past medical history?

Any medicines using?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Female
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Ferous fumarat
Expert:  Zee J replied 13 days ago.

When and why did you have stoma formation?

Expert:  Zee J replied 12 days ago.

A colostomy reversal will only be carried out when you're in good health and have fully recovered. This will usually be at least 3 months after the initial colostomy surgery.

Expert:  Zee J replied 12 days ago.

The reversal may need to be delayed for longer if you need further treatment or you have not recovered from the original operation. But there's no time limit for having a reversal, and some people live with their colostomy for several years before it's reversed.

Expert:  Zee J replied 12 days ago.

Reversing a loop colostomy is a relatively straightforward process. A cut is made around the stoma so the surgeon can access the inside of your abdomen. The upper section of your colon is then reattached to the remaining section of your colon.

Expert:  Zee J replied 12 days ago.

Most people are well enough to leave hospital 3 to 10 days after having colostomy (stoma) reversal surgery. It's likely to take some time before your bowel movements return to normal. Some people have constipation or diarrhoea, but this usually gets better with time. You may have a sore bottom after the reversal, but this should improve as you get used to pooing through your anus again.

Expert:  Zee J replied 12 days ago.

Although a colostomy reversal is usually a smaller procedure than the initial colostomy operation, it still takes several weeks to recover and return to normal activities.

Expert:  Zee J replied 12 days ago.

Please do let me know if you have any further questions I would be happy to answer

Best of luck