Dr Baker
Dr Baker, Family Physician
Experience:  MD
108371854

My cat just clawed my eye. One of his sharp claws dug into

Customer Question

My cat just clawed my eye. One of his sharp claws dug into just below my eyeball (where the pink bit is under skin fold). It doesn't hurt but I'm worried it will get infected later. What should I do?
JA: What are all your symptoms? Have you talked to a doctor about the infection?
Customer: It literally just happened now so I'm not sure if it's infected yet. It's just slightly red right now with no pain. Just feels a bit irritated
JA: Got it. Have you seen a doctor about the infection?
Customer: No, it literally just happened now. I'm not sure if it's infected yet
JA: Thank you so much for your time. Finally, is there anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: Nope
Expert:  Dr Baker replied 19 days ago.

Thank you for contacting Just Answer

Expert:  Dr Baker replied 19 days ago.

I am sorry to hear. I would suggest using some chloramphenicol eye drops for a week to cover for any abrasion to the eye

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Should I be concerned about an infection?
Expert:  Dr Baker replied 19 days ago.

From a scratch, no, but if there is a potential scratch to the eye then drops should be used. Bites are what are the risk for infection.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Ok that’s great to hear. Do I need a prescription for that ointment?
Expert:  Dr Baker replied 19 days ago.

You can buy it over the counter from a pharmacy without a prescription. Drops would be fine as likely to be easier to get.