Dr Baker
Dr Baker, Family Physician
Experience:  MD
108371854

My feet feel swollen one visibly so. This has been the case

Customer Question

My feet feel swollen one visibly so. This has been the case for the past 3-4 weeks. Having to go to sleep with ice pack strapped to my feet or elasticated straps around tightly strapped to my feet. Waking up half a dozen times in the night to massage my feet or get up and walk. The days then are very tired.
JA: Any recent injuries? How long have you been dealing with the swelling?
Customer: No injuries. About 4 weeks
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I am diabetic. And have had a triple heart by pass some 7 years ago.
Expert:  Dr Baker replied 18 days ago.

Thank you for contacting Just Answer

Expert:  Dr Baker replied 18 days ago.

I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing this. Ankle swelling is often due to odema, fluid. Given you have had a bypass this could well be due to your heart. If so, it is important to elevate your legs where possible. Another option is a water tablet, or if you are on one, it may be able to be increased.

I would suggest getting someone to examine you to check your blood pressure, look for pitting oedema, review your medication as well as arrange a blood test to check your kidney function.