Caring doc
Caring doc, Doctor
Experience:  Internal Medicine Specialist. MBBS,MD
25020506

Thank you! I recently got an ankle injury. I thought it was

Customer Question

Thank you! I recently got an ankle injury. I thought it was just a sprain at first, but now I think it might be broken or fractured. Can you help?
JA: How long have you had the injury? Have you used any medication for it?
Customer: I have not used any medication. I injured it two weeks ago.
JA: Got it. Have you seen a doctor about the injury?
Customer: I have not yet.
JA: Thank you so much for your time. Finally, is there anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: Nothing in particular
Expert:  Caring doc replied 9 days ago.
Hi.Welcome to just answer.I am caring doc.I can help you today.
I am reviewing your question please give me some time.
Expert:  Caring doc replied 9 days ago.
Expert:  Caring doc replied 9 days ago.
When did you injure your ankle?
Are you experiencing increased pain,swelling or tenderness?
Are you able to walk?
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I got it two weeks ago. There was a lot of swelling and tenderness the first week and pain when I walk on it. It's getting better, but I still can't walk on it for a long time because it starts to hurt. Attached are pictures from two weeks ago.
Expert:  Caring doc replied 9 days ago.
But the swelling has gone now?
And the pain feels better?
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
the swelling has gone down by a lot, so has the pain. I walk on it, but not that far and I still can't run.
Expert:  Caring doc replied 9 days ago.
Ok thanks a lot for the information. It seems like there was moderate injury to your ligaments, but since your symptoms have improved a lot I don't think there is a fracture.
You should continue the treatment, take painkillers like Ibuprofen because they help with pain and inflammation.Stretching exercises are important.
The complete healing from moderate injuries may take 3 to 6 weeks.
If at any time you feel your swelling has increased, or you feel worsening of pain,see your doctor.
I hope it helps.
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Thank you very much! What remedies do you recommend for speedy recovery? Is it also okay that I walk on it or should I rest it for a while?
Expert:  Caring doc replied 9 days ago.
Respected customer physical therapy is the mainstay of recovery from an ankle sprain. Range of motion exercises, including plantarflexion, dorsiflexion, and foot circles , should be started early, once acute pain and swelling subside, to maintain range of motion. The intensity of rehabilitation is increased gradually with the addition of strength and balance exercises. Ankle splints or braces can limit extremes of joint motion and allow early weightbearing while protecting against reinjury.
Expert:  Caring doc replied 9 days ago.
You can walk but as I mentioned you shod wear splits or braces .
Also it it better to see a physiotherapist to help you with exercises.
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** see a physiotherapist as well!
Expert:  Caring doc replied 9 days ago.
You are most welcome