How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Shahid Karim Your Own Question
Shahid Karim
Shahid Karim, Board Certified MD
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 1000
Experience:  MBChB
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Shahid Karim is online now

Making contact on behalf of my next of kin, Miss Christine

Customer Question

Making contact on behalf of my next of kin, Miss Christine Korczak, who is presenting with psychotic episodes and paranoia. Is now not eating; she fears food contaminated, and possibly drinks too. Her GP has asked to get her to surgery or to A&E, but I really feel she would strongly resist this option. Police unable to help and designate this a medical matter.
JA: How long has she had psychosis? Has she used any medication for it?
Customer: Her welfare officer at the college where she teaches has noticed much weaker symptoms for about a year, also some friends, but condition has rapidly deteriorated over last few weeks, and particularly so this week, seeming to come to head today. Don't believe she's aware she's ill so no medication I'm aware of - she hasn't visited her doctor
JA: Got it. Have the friends used anything else for this?
Customer: Please explain
JA: Thank you so much for your time. Finally, is there anything else in their medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: Not that OI' Not that I'm aware of
Submitted: 9 days ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Shahid Karim replied 9 days ago.

Hi, thanks for getting in touch. That's a difficult situation. Is there any family or anyone else who could help persuade her to get seen?

Expert:  Shahid Karim replied 9 days ago.

I think you'll have to start by openly saying what is wrong and the advice of the GP. It may well upset them but it does need to be said. If she won't seek help after this it really is a case of getting as much help as possible in persuading them through family or friends for example. The police can get involved but only if the person poses a risk to themselves or others and can section them to the A&E from where an assessment happens and they can section into the hospital if needed but it's always preferable if the person voluntarily presents for assessment.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
No, there is no family. Friends are trying to contact her, including myself, but to no avail, although we will obviously keep trying. She hasn't ever invited any of us into the house.
Expert:  Shahid Karim replied 9 days ago.

I know, it can be really difficult and frustrating. Try to keep a unified front, perhaps several of you see and talk to her. It's a shame it has to either be voluntary or at the point of possible harm. Another option is to ask the GP to ask a social worker to get involved but this takes time, they can then involve psychiatry but it's so much easier if they agree to go themselves.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Thank you. I agree with all you say and will continue trying to contact Christine and get her to see a doctor or go to A&E. I guess that's about the size of it, so thank you and God bless
Expert:  Shahid Karim replied 9 days ago.

You're so welcome and you're being a great friend. Come back if you've further questions and sincerely ***** ***** very best.