Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS Experienced in all Medical Specialities
28277873

I have had lots of mucus and phlegm for two weeks. It began

I have had lots of mucus and phlegm for two weeks. It began to get better but it’s now accompanied by a headache and a free Ronny nose or totally blocked nose
JA: Have you used any medication for the headache?
Customer: Yes thank you I have taken paracetamol on a regular basis. Tried lemsip cold and flu. But it’s now like a pressure over my eyes. I have had sinusitis in the past, although quite a while ago
JA: Got it. Have you seen a doctor about the headache?
Customer: no . Surgery is always busy, as I said it’s pressure in my nose and over my eyes.
JA: Thank you so much for your time. Finally, is there anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: I take lansoprazole 15mg daily. 5ml of amlodapine. Paracetamol and diclofenac. In June I had a complete ankle replacement and at the beginning of October I slipped and fracured L5 but have just been signed off by my specilaist. My own dr surgery is full today.

Hello and thank you for the question.
I am Dr. Sohaib, a practicing Board Certified Medicine Consultant with over 15 years of experience and I will do my best to help you today.
Let me review your question for a minute and I will get back to you.

The symptoms are typical of a viral illness which can cause runny nose, blocked nose, pressure over the eyes, forehead and around nose ---- and this all happen due to inflammation of the delicate mucosa lining the sinuses which leads to congestion and problems in drainage and results in boggy and painful feeling.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Do I need antibiotics for this please or can you suggest a different approach? Tried hot showers.facial steaming

The best thing that would help you here would be to take steam inhalation; three to four times a day ---- it will give soothing effect and will help open up the sinuses and reduce congestion.

Also, you should focus on maintaining an adequate hydration as this will again help to liquify the secretions and facilitate the drainage.

Natural anti-inflammatory agents like Honey water, Green tea and Turmeric ---- all would help.

Finally, you can use Sudafed (Pseudoephedrine) --- available over the counter, which greatly reduces congestion and provides great relief.

Unless you have high fever, or persistent symptoms which do not resolves after 2 weeks, or severe cough with shortness of breath, I do not see any reason for the antibiotics for the time being.

You can ignore the call request ---it autogenerated by the system.

Was it helpful?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Thank you.Tried lots of herbal remedies. But not Sudafed. I will get some of those today. Will this help with the strong yellow/green phlegm too ?

It should reduce the congestion; and hence will reduce phlegm production.

At the same time, a good drainage regimen as I mentioned will clear the already produced phlegm.

Good luck and my sincere wishes for your speedy recovery.

If you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.
Kindest Regards.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
When I went to the chemist he refused to sell me Sudafed because I have blood pressure.so your answer did not solve my problem. Later on Friday I spoke to my own go who decided to prescribe antibiotics. I also feel being charged £34. For a call I did not receive is unfair

Actually Sudafed is not contraindicated if your blood pressure is under control and can be monitored; but to be on the sae side, nasal drops (decongestant) can be used. You can ask pharmacy for xylometazoline or oxymetazoline nasal decongestant drops. They have less systemic effects and act locally.

Antibiotics can be prescribed if there is a convincing evidence that there is bacterial infection like continuous fever, and blood work showing high white cells or high procalcitonin levels.