How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Anthony Osula Your Own Question
Anthony Osula
Anthony Osula, Doctor
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 1481
Experience:  MB ChB DRCOG
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Anthony Osula is online now

My brother was diagnosed with emphysema as a baby (1977)

Customer Question

Hi there,
My brother was diagnosed with emphysema as a baby (1977) following a lobectomy to remove cysts from his lungs, he is 44 years old and lives in London, his specialist is based at St Bart's. He seems to be deteriorating in the last 3 months and I wondered how to go about getting him on a list for any medical trials? He sees a specialist once or twice a year and has a very basic checkup, any advice would be much appreciated. Kind regards
JA: Has the brother used any medication for the cysts?
Customer: he has an oxygen machine, inhalers, steroids, and antibiotics regualrly
JA: Got it. Has he used anything besides the antibiotics for this?
Customer: no
JA: Thank you so much for your time. Finally, is there anything else in his medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: no thats it
Submitted: 19 days ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Anthony Osula replied 19 days ago.

Thanks for using just answer

To be on a list, there are certain eligibilty criteria for medical trials depending on what they're looking for

Usually, the specialist should be your first port of call as if he's eligible they can enrol him directly so you need to contact them to ask

Also if you go on websites like Glaxo- Wellcome, or pharmaceutical companies, there are sections which talk about trials ongoing and you can see if he might be a candidate or contact them also if he's suitable

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
if the specialist doesnt do this, is it with going private?
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Expert:  Anthony Osula replied 19 days ago.

All specialists do it and usually within the NHS, though you can also get recommendations privately

Its nothing to do with the specialist specifically but if the trial is available or suitable,then they'll be enrolled

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
He hasnt had a scan of his lungs in 3 years, is this something the specialist would do every so often, it feels like things are being left and not much is being done.
Expert:  Anthony Osula replied 19 days ago.
If he has deteriorated then he needs another scan. I think covid has changed a lot of things in terms of routine scanning and follow ups. If you contact the secretary I'm sure they can set up a follow-up and determine what scans or tests he needs.