Dr.Andrew
Dr.Andrew, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Physician,Doctor, medical consultant
75931320

I have a burning and stinging sensation in my private area.

I have a burning and stinging sensation in my private area. It feels swollen and is very painful to touch. It’s worse when I pee.
JA: How long have you been dealing with the burning? Are you experiencing any other discomfort?
Customer: Since Sunday/Monday
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no other discomfort except obviously feels painful to walk etc as it’s rubbing

Welcome to the Justanswer website,

I am Dr.Andrew, a Board-Certified Physician with over 15 years of experience.

I'm sorry you are having this issue. I will do my best to help you.

I'm reviewing your question and will get back to you shortly. Answers here are for education and information only.

Respected customer

I am sorry to hear about your symptoms, but please do not worry. I will try my best to resolve this issue.

Please give me a little more information, and I will help you figure out a solution.

Do you have pain or burning during pee?

I am waiting for your reply.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Burning when I pee - it’s very painful and obviously then painful to wipe

Do you have a frequent urge to pee?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I need to go a little more than I usually go.

Any blood in your urine?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
No blood

Is there any pain in the lower abdomen or the sides of the lower back?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Lower abdomen a little at times a bit like cramps

Any fever or chills?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
No fever or chills

Is your urine cloudy?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
A little definitely different colour than usual

Do you have any vaginal discharge? If yes, what color?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
No discharge

May I know your age?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
It’s very been very dry. I’m 33

Are you sexually active?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
but not in last couple of weeks. I’ve tried using vagisil and vagisil intimate wipes but still burns and extremely painful
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I also have a long term partner

Respected customer

Thank you for providing the details. I can understand your concern and worry.

I am now preparing and typing my answer, and I will post my reply here as soon as it is ready.

In the meantime, you can give more info regarding this issue.

Thanks for your cooperation and patience.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Ok thanks

Thank you for being online.

Respected customer

Thank you for staying online,

I am sorry to hear about your problem, and I can understand how uncomfortable you may be feeling, but hopefully, we can resolve this.

The symptoms you have described of having a burning and stinging sensation in the private area and a more frequent urge to pee can occur most likely because of a urinary tract infection. It is an infection in any part of your urinary system — your kidneys, ureters, bladder, and urethra.

The culprit in at least 90% of uncomplicated urinary tract infections (UTI) is Escherichia coli, better known as E. coli.

Other less probable causes are- kidney stones, narrowed urethra, not drinking enough fluids, sexual intercourse.

Most probably and most likely, this is because of UTI/bladder infection.

Antibiotic is the drug of choice to cure this. So you may need to make an appointment with your doctor.

-Your doctor can prescribe-Antibiotic for 5-7 days. This will cure the UTI infection.

Till then, the following treatment measures are recommended for you now:

-Drink either unsweetened blueberry juice or unsweetened cranberry juice. Try to drink at least 2 to 4 glasses of cranberry juice a day.

-You can take D-Mannose tablets from your pharmacy.

- You can also make this at home: add one teaspoon of baking soda to a glass of water as it may help ease your infection. The soda neutralizes the acidity in your urine, speeding along with your recovery.

- Drink plenty of fluids and water to flush out the bacteria via urine. I would recommend increasing your water intake to 3 to 3.5 liters per day

-You can take an over-the-counter medication called AZO (urinary antiseptic/analgesic). This medicine will decrease your urgency and frequency by relaxing your bladder muscle spasm and will relieve the pain/burning during urination. It contains phenazopyridine that affects the lower part of your urinary tract and treats symptoms of UTI

- Place a water bottle on your lower abdomen to help ease pain/cramps caused by the UTI.

These should greatly help you treat the UTI and get you rid of this pain and burning during pee.

I hope I have been able to clarify the situation for you and helped in resolving your query.

I am available to answer any follow-up questions you may have, so please feel free to ask.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Thank you. I have tried to get a doctors appointment but I have to try again on Monday at 8.30am
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Thanks for the suggestions I can try until Monday. Thanks

Yes, your doctor can prescribe-Antibiotic for 5-7 days, which will cure the UTI infection.

Till then, you may start with the above-described treatment. It is the first line of treatment and should help you immensely.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you,

We can continue here until you are satisfied, use the reply box and let me know.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
That’s great thank you. I will try the medicine you have described. Do you think it’s best to not put any cream on at all?

Yes, avoid any cream.

- Drink plenty of fluids and water to flush out the bacteria via urine. I would recommend increasing your water intake to 3 to 3.5 liters per day.

I hope my recommendations are helpful to you. Would you please let me know if you have any other follow-up questions? I am available to answer any follow-up questions you may have, so please feel free to ask.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Thank you. That’s great

Respected customer,

You are very welcome! I am glad I was able to help.

If you still have any follow-up questions, please feel free to ask. I am right here to answer you.

I wish you good health and get well soon.

God bless you and take care.