How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zee J Your Own Question
Zee J
Zee J,
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 473
Experience:  Expert
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Zee J is online now

Thank you. I have bilateral monocular diplopia and need to

This answer was rated:

thank you. I have bilateral monocular diplopia and need to find out why and what treatment is available
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: optician referred me to the hospital but am awaiting an appointment
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no meds
JA: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?
Customer: I have several apparantly unconnected issues with my eyes

Hello and thanks for your question. I’d be pleased to assist you. Kindly answer following questions for further advice:

Age? Male or female?

Past medical history?

Any medicines using?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
62 male
suspected heart attack about 20 years ago
borderline asthmatic
at risk of diabetes but clear blood test 6 months ago
had worsening binocular diplopia for about 4 years
had an eye infection about 4 months ago
also encrustations on my eyelids which seem to have settled down
getting flashes and floaters in my right eye
daily meds: diltiazem, clopidogrel, vit D, loratidine, lipitor, sertraline (14 months so far), serevent and clenil inhalers


So the opticians have referred you to see an eye specialist (ophthalmologist) in the hospital

Double vision (diplopia) is not usually serious but it's important to get it checked, even if it comes and goes.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
It's getting worse almost daily, and bilateral monocular diplopia is relatively rare

Yes I can understand and most likely in addition to look at the back of the eyes the doctor would like to do some scan to look at the brain and the internal parts of the eyes

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I have had several examinations with dilated pupils but nobody has suggested brain scans yet

I would recommend to discuss with your doctor at this appointment for CT scan of brain and orbits (eye sockets)

Just to see that everything is alright

Customer: replied 12 days ago.

You are welcome

Please do let me know if you have any further questions in future I would be happy to answer

Best of luck

Zee J and 3 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you