Shahid Karim
Shahid Karim, Board Certified MD
Experience:  MBChB
111381268

For several weeks i have been suffering from an ache in the

hi there
JA: Hello. How can I help?
Customer: for several weeks i have been suffering from an ache in the anus often accompanied with twin aches of the abdomen?
JA: Have you used any medication for the ache?
Customer: no
JA: Got it. Have you seen a doctor about the ache?
Customer: yes and he checked abdomen and arranged for blood in poo test - not heard any results so presume negative
JA: Thank you so much for your time. Finally, is there anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: i think i have had the aches before but not so intense or prolonged - they are not pains but mild to uncomfortable aches is the best way i can describe them

Hi thanks for getting in touch, could you tell me a little more about what you'd like to discuss?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
i have had this intermittent ache in anus and often also in lower abdomen for some weeks - not pains as such, more a mild to uncomfortable aching feeling

I see, any bleeding noted?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
no, i am only concerned that it isnt serious, i have been told it is anal spasms but its not sharp/brief pains?
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
not that i can see?
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
any ideas?

It actually very well could be spasms. Do you notice if the discomfort comes in waves at all?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
it just comes on and sometimes lasts for hours at a time, as i said before its not so painful that i need to take painkillers but quite uncomfortable at times? SometimessSeems to ease a little if i pass wind

I see. It very well may be spasm in that case and you are correct in that it isn't dangerous but can be uncomfortable. Most people live with it and reassurance that it's not dangerous is enough but if you really wanted there are some medications that can help.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
over the counter?
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
i have AF so on blood thinners also Barrett's

Anusol which is traditionally for piles can actually be fairly helpful for this. Otherwise really it's prescribed medications.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Ok thank you for your reassurance

You're so welcome, glad I could help. Come back if you've further questions in the future and all the very best.