Shahid Karim
Shahid Karim, Board Certified MD
Experience:  MBChB
111381268

My husband has bronchiectasis and asthma. he is having

Customer Question

My husband has bronchiectasis and asthma. he is having difficulty breathing. I have tried phoning 111 but the line is very busy. He is 81yrs old and i do not drive. Can you help please?
JA: Has your husband used any medication for asthma?
Customer: he used his spray this morning and has had two doses of salbutamol since
JA: Got it. Has he seen a doctor about asthma?
Customer: He is due for a face to face meeting in a few days with the asthma nurse.
JA: Thank you so much for your time. Finally, is there anything else in his medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: I don't think there is anything else.
Expert:  Shahid Karim replied 8 days ago.

Hi thanks for getting in touch, how bad is his breathing right now? Can he complete a sentence without gasping?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
no

ok if it's that bad he has to be seen now. I think you'll have to call 999 and they need to take him to the A&E.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Is this NHS?

This website is for medical advice only I'm afraid. We can't offer specific treatments or prescriptions even and it appears your husband is very out of breath. Not being able to finish a sentence without gasping is considered an emergency sign of breathlessness so I think calling 999 is the best course of action.