Dr.Saleem
Dr.Saleem, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS
23101880

Can taking tranexamic acid for heavy periods affect future

Can taking tranexamic acid for heavy periods affect future periods? I’ve always suffered with heavy and extremely painful periods now after being on tranexamic acid for 2 months I am experiencing a light and completely pain free period without taking any tablets
JA: Are you in any pain? How regular are your periods?
Customer: no and they are roughly every 25 days
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I had a negative pregnancy test on cycle day 1

Hi! I am Dr Saleem. Welcome to JA.

Thank you for the question. I will be answering your query shortly.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.

I understand your concern. Taking tranexemic acid doesn't have any long term effect on the future periods. It's probably just a coincidence that your period is light this time. Tranexemic acid's duration of action is quite short and the drug is completely out of your system within 2 days.

Please let me know if you have any other queries. Thanks.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** to confirm, after 16 years of very painful periods, I don’t need to worry that this one is completely pain free?

You don't have to worry but I must warn that pain may return in future.

My pleasure.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Ok thank you very much

Happy to help :)