Dr Baker
Dr Baker, Family Physician
Experience:  MD
108371854

Think I may have contracted herpes on my lip - want a

Customer Question

Think I may have contracted herpes on my lip - want a professional opinion so that I can take necessary steps
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: No. I have ordered a test swab kit but that's going to arrive in several days
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I had unprotected oral sex a bit more than a month ago
JA: Is this your first time reaching out for information about this? In general, how would you describe your overall health?
Customer: I have had a full panel test, but they don't test for herpes. Generally, I am fit and healthy
Expert:  Dr Baker replied 17 days ago.

Thank you for contacting Just Answer

Expert:  Dr Baker replied 17 days ago.

I am sorry to hear. What symptoms do you have? Do you have a photo?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
File attached (GV5MZ74)
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
File attached (1Z4ZG2G)
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
There has been no pain, tingling, burning etc. Although the corner of my mouth is slightly red and dry
Expert:  Dr Baker replied 17 days ago.

Thanks. I cannot see any herpes lesions, however what you describe can be the symptoms of this,

Expert:  Dr Baker replied 17 days ago.

You could try topical Aciclovir to suppress this though, this is available from a pharmacy without a prescription.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
What does the small spot look like if not a lesion? I will do the test and then if it comes back positive will look at Aciclovir, thank you
Expert:  Dr Baker replied 17 days ago.

I have just used a larger screen, are you referring to the lesion on the upper lip? Close to the corner of the mouth?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
that is correct
Expert:  Dr Baker replied 17 days ago.

So this could be a herpes lesion.