Dr Geyik, MBBS
Dr Geyik, MBBS,
Experience:  Expert
113018656

My Nan has recent been told she has Bowen’s disease on her

My Nan has recent been told she has Bowen’s disease on her nose. she has several brown marks on her body.
JA: How long have you been dealing with this? Are you having any breathing problems?
Customer: but only one was tested by biopsy. Should all marks have a biopsy to check if they’re cancerous?
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No

Hello. This is Dr Geyik and I will be assisting you today.

Can I please ask if she was seen by a dermatologist?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Hello, thank you.
Yes she was seen by a dermatologist who took a biopsy of one mark on her nose. She was then told by the doctors it was Bowen’s disease.

Since she was seen by a dermatologist I am not too concerned that other marks were no biopsied. This is common procedure and generally only one biopsy is taken unless the specialist thought there were different looking lesions. I assume the dermatologist did a full examination and did not think there were other suspicious lesions of different nature.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Ok. Thank you. I just wondered as she was told that she should apply the chemotherapy cream to all marks (even those that weren’t checked) is this right?

Yes, the cream should be applied to all lesions/marks even if they were not biopsied. The other marks are also due to Bowen's disease and you should use the cream on them.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Ok Thank you, Bowen’s disease is a form of early cancer am i correct?
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
lastly, can it always be fully cured?

Yes, that is correct but it is not as bad as other skin cancers and can easily be treated.

Yes, people generally do well with this condition.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Thank you for your help.

You are very welcome.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Sorry, I forgot to ask if she didn’t want to use the cream is there any other treatment she could have?

The other treatments are cryotherapy (freezing) and cautery (burning in controlled way) but you should follow the advice of the dermatologist as the treatment depends on their assessment and findings.