Dr. Arun Phophalia
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS MS. Post doctoral fellowship in Sports Medicine. General surgeon and sports medicine specialist
5625079

Diarrhoea started last Monday and has been very runny since

Diarrhoea started last Monday and has been very runny since about 4am. Easing at present because i have avoided eating yet. Had booster jab 13/11 Could that be a factor. Advice re treatment/eating and contact with others
JA: Have you used any medication for the diarrhoea?
Customer: no
JA: Got it. Have you seen a doctor about the diarrhoea?
Customer: No
JA: Thank you so much for your time. Finally, is there anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: have osteo arthritis

Welcome to JustAnswer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer or further information request.

Thanks for the question.

I am writing the answer for you and will get back to you in 5 minutes.

Unless you wish to speak in person, you can ignore the request for a phone call automatically generated by the website, not by me.

Jab adverse effects usually occur in 2-4 days. So this may be related to it. The following would help you;

1) Pepto Bismol/Bismuth subsalicylate

2) Lomotil/Imodium; may only be given if the diarrhea is vigorous.

3) Gatorade/Pedialyte/Electrolyte solution

4) Plenty of fluids

5) BRAT diet; banana, rice, applesauce, toast. Vegetable broths/vegetable soups, coconut water also can help. Or

BRATTY diet - banana, soft rice, apple sauce, toast, tea, and yogurt are recommended.

6) Probiotics

7) A tablespoon of apple cider vinegar in a glass of water twice a day.

You may need a course of antibiotics if the symptoms persist.

Dietary measures would help you in regulating the bowels. Vegetables and fruits will help. Probiotics and probiotic yogurt are recommended. You may drink diluted fruit juice, Pedialyte, or Gatorade.

Eating foods that are higher in soluble fiber (introducing slowly dried beans, oats, oat bran, rice bran, barley, citrus fruits, apples, strawberries, peas, and potatoes) may aid in making stool firmer. A bland 'BRAT' diet including bananas, toast, oatmeal, white rice, applesauce, and soup/broth may improve symptoms.

Probiotic supplementation has been shown to reduce the severity and duration of bowel issues.

The primary aim is the prevention of dehydration and electrolyte imbalance. If the diarrhea loss of fluids is too much or you are unable to drink enough liquids; you may need antibiotics and/or intravenous fluids. In that case, you may need to go to the ER.

I wish your symptoms resolve soon.

I would be happy to assist you further if you need any more information.
Thanks for using JustAnswer.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Do I need to avoid contact with other people

This is usually not infective but avoiding people may be advised for precuation till it completely goes away.