Dr Baker
Dr Baker, Family Physician
Experience:  MD
108371854

I have a spiral fracture of my left fibula. After 6 weeks it

I have a spiral fracture of my left fibula. After 6 weeks it is still painful despite resting it. I am concerned about how best to help heal this. Any help would be most welcome. I am a 61 year old lady.
JA: Have you used any medication for the fracture?
Customer: Paracetamol as I am told that Ibuprofen is not good for healing
JA: Got it. Have you seen a doctor about the fracture?
Customer: Yes, I have had X-rays and an MRI
JA: Thank you so much for your time. Finally, is there anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: There was a suspected clot which the MRI showed up but I went to A&E and then to the vascular department at Chelsea & Westminster, they said no clot but it was most likely a bruise around the fractureCustomer: Chat is completed

Thank you for contacting Just Answer

I am sorry to hear of your injury. Was this surgically treated or left to heal on its own?

Dr Baker, Family Physician
Experience: MD
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Left to heal on it's own. Apparently I can't have a boot because of the position of the fracture but it isn't improving significantly and I have been told another 6 weeks keeping weight off it.
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Do you have any advice for me? I expect just answer will refund me the £34 I have just paid to have a phone call?

Hi ,

Thanx for contacting Just Answer

Sorry to hear about your injury , i am here to help you .If you please let me know about few things about injury

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
It is a spiral fracture of the left fibula. 6 weeks ago I had an MRI and an X-ray. I was told to rest it as much as possible which I did as best I could. I had another X-ray 10 days ago and the fracture hasn't healed as much as was expected so I have been told to rest it for another 6 weeks. This is more than depressing as for the last week I have really rested it but as soon as I do anything more than resting it starts to hurt. I have been given no pain killers, just told to take paracetamol which doesn't really help. I am told that a boot/cast would not help due to the location of the fracture. Can you give me any advice please?

Ok , can you please tell me , what was the exact location of fracture on fibula ? Was it near to ankle or near to knee ?

And please if you can share the 1st and last x ray please ?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
About 2 inches below the knee, however when I put any pressure on it the pain is like a very bad bruising around the middle of the calf
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I don't have the X-rays, I would have to request them tomorrow

Ok , what was the exact mechanism of injury ?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I slipped on mud in Ireland, I had to spend the next few days without seeing a Dr but when I got back to London I went to a consultant

Ok no worries if you donot have x ray .Please tel me where exactly do you feel pain , at the fracture site ? And is there any trouble in walking ? And do you feel any pain in ankle ?

Have they done the x ray of ankle as well ?.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Sometimes the pain is around the fracture but after walking too much it goes below the fracture and around the back of the calf
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
The X-ray was the whole of the leg below my knee including the ankle but that doesn't hurt

Ideally fracture of fibula heel nicely . You donot have to do any thing . Even you donot need immobilization in the form of cast or boot . There is only one type of fracture of prximal fibula (fracture near to kneee )  which can cause some trouble in heeling , the fracture with ankle injury .

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
The fracture is 2 inches below the knee which, given what you have told me just now, would indicate that may be the reason it is not healing so I don't know what to do to help it to heal. Any advice?

But as you told me they have screened your ankle by doing x ray , so i am pretty sure they would not have missed ankle injury .

And its already been 6 weeks it would have healed by now

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
exactly but it hasn't healed which is why I am worried

When you preass the site of fracture does it hurt now ?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Not really, it hurts more around the back of the calf

Then donot worry , its not a fracture pain . Fracture pain due to non heeling is always maximum at fracture site . Your pain is in calf region .

If you press hardly over fracture site and donot feel any tenderness then donot worry about fracture .

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
But should I continue to keep weight off it as much as possible for the next 6 weeks as this is a worry, not only as it is painful and depressing but also I worry about blood clots due to inactivity. I do upper body weights but fear this isn't enough
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
The X-ray 10 days ago showed that the fracture had not healed significantly

Are you currently non weight bearing ? Have they advised you to be non weightbearing ?

We can adress calf pain as well . Do you feel pain when you squeeze your calf ?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I am trying to do as little weight bearing as possible but I am told at home I can walk without crutches but when I go out I have to use them
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
the calf muscle is painful when I squeeze it

Has the doctor given you any blood thining medication ?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
No. He suspected a blood clot which showed up on the MRI, I went to A&E and had a blood thinning injection, the following day I went to the vascular department who did tests and said there was no clot but a bad bruise

Well what you told me about fracture . Based on that it does look like simple prox fibula fracture without any ankle injury .

Treatment for that is full weight bearing without any crutches or assisstamce.

To label the fracture as heeling or not it better if i have x ray.

For calf pain if its svere in nature and its sverly painful on squeezing i would suggest get an opinion from your GP so that DVT can be ruled out by doing clinical examination.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
The calf pain has been on and off the same since I saw the vascular department who say it isn't a clot. It gets worse if I put pressure on it by weight bearing

If you want to get an opinion on x ray please let me know when you have x ray . I would be pleased to advise you on x ray as well .

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I will get the x-ray sent tomorrow, thank you. How do I get this to you?

You can request for my consultation on app , and they will put you through with me .

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Thank you, I'll be in touch when I get the x-ray and MRI

Ok now worries . You are welcome .

Thanx

Feel free to ask if you have any question .Take care . Bye

Bye