Dr. Arun Phophalia
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS MS. Post doctoral fellowship in Sports Medicine. General surgeon and sports medicine specialist
5625079

I have recurrent vaginal thrush, None at the moment, It's

I have recurrent vaginal thrush
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: None at the moment
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: It's affecting my mental health

What is your age?

Since when do you have recurrent thrush?

What are the treatments done?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
33 yrs. Its been so many years about 5yrs. Antifungal pessaries and fluconazole

Thanks for the further information.

I am writing the answer for you and will get back to you in 5 minutes.

Unless you wish to speak in person, you can ignore the request for a phone call automatically generated by the website, not by me.

Some women experience chronic recurrent vulvovaginitis, which often requires long-term or prophylactic oral azole therapy for control. So for that, the recommended regimen is fluconazole 150 mg every other day for 3 doses, followed by weekly fluconazole 150-200 mg for 6 months. This regimen abates the symptoms and prevents further recurrence in the majority of women.

Boric acid wash for the vagina can be used in resistant cases, as an alternative measure with the consultation of your physician. For recurrent yeast infections (more than 3 infections per year), you can try over-the-counter boric acid vaginal suppositories 600mg inserted vaginally every night for at 7-14 days followed by inserting one suppository 1-2 times a week for 3-4 months.

A specific culture; Nickerson or Sabouraud mediums should be performed in refractory or recurrent cases of vaginal candidiasis to confirm the infection. So you can talk to your doctor to get this culture before you start the treatment.

Women who do not improve with the above can use clotrimazole 500 mg vaginal suppositories administered once per week for six months which is also effective.

Also, avoid (if you do) the following;

1) panty liners,

2) pantyhose,

3) sexual lubricants

The following would help you:

4) You can help restore the normal bowel flora by eating live bacterial culture yogurt every day for a few weeks and taking acidophilus tablets/brand Rephresh Pro-B three times a day for one month.

5) Do not use tampons until the end of the treatment.

6) Wear loose, all-cotton underwear as they absorb body moisture.

7) Wipe from front to back when you urinate or have a bowel movement. Bowel bacteria can infect the vagina.

8) Do not shave the vulvar area as the pubic hair protects against chemicals making contact with the skin.

9) Avoid all chemicals in the Vulvovaginal area.

10) Avoid pantyhose and tight pants such as jeans which trap moisture near the perineum

11) After exercise or any sweat-producing activity, bathing or swimming, make sure the perineum is air-dried., Moist surfaces that rub against each other break down and provide an area for yeast secondary growth,

12) Follow a low carbohydrate diet. Take steroids, antibiotics, and oral contraceptives only if very necessary.

I wish your symptoms resolve soon.

I would be happy to assist you further if you need any more information.
Thanks for using JustAnswer.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Culture has been done and came out pkshitive for thrush
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Positive for thrush
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
can I start the treatment now.I'm always wetting my underwear.

Please seek a prescription of Fluconazole 150 mg once a week for 6 months from your doctor.

Oral probiotics for one month also is advised.

You can start the treatment tomorrow.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
What of the boric acid

The best is Fluconazole, but if you want to use boric acid you may start it.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Don't I need to take any precautions with taking the fluconazole

There are no specific medical precautions when you are taking it.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Thanks very much

You are very welcome.

Wishing you a speedy resolution and all the very best in life.

It was a pleasure to assist you.

I sincerely hope that I have helped you and that I have earned my 5-star rating today!

Stay blessed.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Last but not the least , so the boric acid can't be used together with the fluconazole capsules
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
You have been of great assistance. Will surely award you 5 stars

Ideally, both of these together should be avoided.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Ok thanks

My pleasure.