Dr Anil Kumar
Dr Anil Kumar, Doctor
Experience:  M.D with over 30 years of experience in practice.
4713694

I have a 12 year old daughter who has had daily nose bleeds

Customer Question

Hi, I have a 12 year old daughter who has had daily nose bleeds the last 2 weeks or so. She used to get them like this when she was younger but not for a few years now. Is there something I can get over the counter as it is a bit tricky to get a doctors appointment just now. Or can the pharmacist deal with the prescription themselves? I recall she used to be given a cream to go up the nose by the doctor. I stay in the UK. Thanks.
Expert:  Dr Anil Kumar replied 9 days ago.

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you. I am a board-certified consultant with over 30 years of experience.

And I would serve you with care and patience.

First I need to ask a few questions so that I can gather more information related to your health concerns; I am preparing & typing the questions now, and I will follow up with you.

I am sorry to hear about your problem.
We can continue our conversation now through text in this reply forum.
Please provide more information regarding your question so I can help you in detail.

Stuffy nose, sore throat?

Sneezing, coughing?

Headache?

Did you give any medicine so far?

Waiting for your response.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
No other problems like you mentioned and not taking any medication.

Respected customer
Thank you for providing the details. I can understand your concern and worry.
In the meantime, you can give more info regarding this issue.
Please allow me just a few minutes.
I’ll reply to you back soon after reviewing it.
Thanks for your cooperation and patience.

Sorry for the late reply and inconvenience.

Thanks for all this additional information.

I understand your concern.

And it’s my first privilege to pay attention and provide you with explanations and suggestions to relieve your discomfort/ worry.

When heaters are turned on in the winter, changing weather/ temperature the nasal and sinus mucous membranes become dry and irritated.

The cilia (hair cells of the lining membrane of the nose) may die so that normal nasal secretions do not get swept to the back of the nose for swallowing, but stay in the nose and become crusts and scabs.
The forceful blowing of these nasal crusts may be associated with recurrent bleeding.

A lubricating cream on the insides of the nostrils and the septum helps tremendously.

Just a pea-sized dab per nostril up to three times a day if necessary, can do the trick.

Suitable, easily available creams and ointments include Neosporin, Vaseline, and Mentholatum.

Other self-care measures may include: sitting up straight and tipping the head forward slightly; applying direct pressure with the thumb and forefinger, whilst pinching the bridge of the nose for around 10 minutes, or applying an ice pack to the bridge of the nose to constrict the blood vessels.

Purchase over-the-counter Afrin nasal spray to use as needed for nosebleeding. This spray helps to decrease blood flow to the nose and will help to reduce nosebleeding if it occurs.

Saline nasal drops help to keep the mucosa moist.

However, there are several other new products that can be used, such as Nasalcease which is a good product to use in nose bleeds. Another product that can be used in case of anterior nose bleeds is WoundSeal Powder for Nosebleeds.

So you can try the newer products as well which are better in controlling nose bleeds of this sort especially the ones which occur repeatedly.

Steam inhalation with oil of eucalyptus in it can also be helpful as well.

Do even simple things like meditation, relaxation, or even yoga.

The dry mucosa can also be treated with an increased intake of plain water which would be very helpful as well.

Applying ice to the bridge of the nose also helps control bleeding.
If the bleeding does not stop within 20 min please go to the ER immediately for control of bleeding.

Hope I have been able to clarify the situation for you and helped in resolving your query.

Let me know if you have any further queries so we can discuss it thoroughly in every aspect.

It’s my pleasure to continue this conversation until you satisfy.

Waiting for your response.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
When do you use Afrin? During the bleed or out with? Thank you for your help doctor.

Thanks for replying back.

I understand your concern.

If bleeding continues after 10 minutes of pressure, use decongestant nose drops such as Afrin - 2 sprays in each nostril every 10 minutes up to 3 times. You may also continue pressure at this time.

I am happy to answer follow-up questions - please do get in touch with extra information or further queries and I will do my best to help you.

I wish you good health.
Welcome.
Kind Regards
Dr.Anil