Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
11269312

I have a sever burning red rash can appear anywhere on arms

I have a sever burning red rash can appear anywhere on arms ,head and body. Starts with painful pin pricks and develops into violent itching. Treated for years with laritodene increased to 3 a day with little effect.
JA: Have you used any medication for the burning?
Customer: E 45 anti itch also dermacool
JA: Got it. Have you seen a doctor about the burning?
Customer: currently bed bound wi pressure sore. But no real advice from my practice
JA: Thank you so much for your time. Finally, is there anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: I am a Paraplegic from 1960 also a double amputee

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a qualified MD with 18 years’ experience and I am happy to work with you on this.

Please provide some more information so that I can provide you with a better informed answer.

What is your age and gender?

How long have you been having these symptoms?

Have you seen a doctor for this? Any tests done?

Please provide this info and I will help you further with my answer.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I M 89 had this for 5/6years
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
No tests were taken only given cream and tabs. Doctors only increase tabs

The most common causes of recurrent rashes are:

Atopic dermatitis: this is a type of eczema. It consists of an itchy red rash which can be found anywhere in the body. Cause is usually due to an allergen which is recurrent in the environment. But often no such cause can be found.

Scabies: scabies is due to infestation by mites. You need antiscabies treatment for this.

Granuloma annulare: this causes recurrent bumps which are often in a ring formation, cause is unknown.

Lichen planus: this gives rise to itchy purple or reddish coloured flat bumps, cause is believed to be immunological.

Psoriasis: gives rise to itchy red rash associated with silvery scale like patches. cause is believed to be immunological.

For you the most likely is Atopic dermatitis. This is often provoked by exposure to some allergen. You need to pay careful attention to your environment to see if you can find out any allergen which could be the cause.

Insect bites are a possibility. Mosquite, horsefly, ticks, midge or gnats, fireants, chiggers, etc can cause such reactions. It could also be related to certain medicines, foods, suppments, etc. Check out whether there is any medication associated with the rash. . Also try to recall any associated foods, specially foods like nuts, some new types of meat, fish, etc before these recurrences. You could be having a food allergy. You should also watch out for any soaps or detergents. Also try to recall any activities associated with this, like hiking to some place, cleaning the house or some area of the house, some hobby like wood working etc which coincide with the rashes.
If you find anything which could have caused the allergy, then you have to avoid it. However, quite as often, no definite cause of such allergic reactions can be found, do not worry if this is so. Most of the time, cause for Atopic dermatitis is not detected.

You should take an antihistaminic like Cap. Claritin (OTC) one capsule daily. Also apply 1% Hydrocortisone ointment. This will get rid of the rash.

You can go for allergy testing, this can be done at a dermatologists' office. It consists of patches which are used to detect an allergen.

If allergen is detected, it can be treated with desensitisation using allergen immunotherapy. Discuss this with a dermatologist.

If no allergen is detected, treatment is symptomatic.

If this does not help, then higher forms of treatment are needed.
Glucocorticoids: a long term course of prednisolone is indicated in your case since you are having so severe symptoms.
Ultraviolet radiation: Ultraviolet treatment, like PUVA, is often helpful
Tricyclic antidepressants: they are used for a synergistic action with H1 antihistaminics. Such drugs like Doxepin can control the urticaria.
H2 antihistaminics: like famotidine and ranitidine, are used in conjunction with H1 antihistaminics.
Immunosupressant medications: In severe cases, immuno suppressants like Cyclosporine or azithriopine is indicated.
.
I suggest you consult your Family Physician / Primary care physician again. If possible consult a Dermatologist. Discuss all these conditions and treatments I suggested. Note them down or copy-paste into Word and take them to your doctor - this will help to start an informed discussion.
Hope I have been able to clarify the situation for you and helped in resolving your query.
If you need more help, please let me know so l can continue to assist you.
Thank you and I wish you the best of health - stay safe!
Dr. P. Jyoti

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
no further questions

Glad to help.

Wish you best of health and a quick recovery.

Do send me feedback by giving a 5 star rating or 'accepting' my answer.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Thank you for above,will be in touch with my GP
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
No further questions. Answer was excellwent
I could get only your voice mail while calling you. Please give an appropriate time to call you.
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
No call required. All questions answered

Ok thats all good then.

Customer: replied 2 days ago.
Excellent