Dr Baker
Dr Baker, Family Physician
Experience:  MD
108371854

I had strong pain all of a sudden in my right upper abdomen

I had strong pain all of a sudden in my right upper abdomen today, around 9 hours ago for like 5 minutes and since then have been fine. What could it be?

Thank you for contacting Just Answer

I am sorry to hear. Did this come on after eating? Is the pain still present?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I got this pain soon after eating. No, it’s not present anymore but it still feels a bit unusual
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I got the pain around 20 minutes after eating

Okay thanks. You could therefore have gallstones. Your gallbladder is in the upper right quadrant of your abdomen just beneath your liver. Eating causes it to contract, and if stones are present it can be painful.

I would avoid fatty or large meals and speak with you doctor about an ultrasound to see if they are present.

Indeed if you ever have this pain with a fever or it lasts much longer, do see someone much sooner

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Thank you so much! If it’s gallstones how could I have gotten them? And can they disappear on their own?

Many people have them, often dietary, being over weight, or genetic. Many people have them and no symptoms. Even if you have gallstones, if you have no further episodes then they can be left alone

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Thank you very much!

That is my pleasure, all the best.