Shahid Karim
Shahid Karim, Board Certified MD
Experience:  MBChB
111381268

I have had been having ear pain since September. After 2

Hi. I have had been having ear pain since September. After 2 lots of antibiotics and using an ear spray it still hasn't cleared. Was given a swab which came back clear of infection and was seen today by an ear doctor who says I have TMD
JA: Are you experiencing any dizziness? Do you have a fever?
Customer: No and no
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Just that's its worse at night when trying to sleep

Hi, thanks for getting in touch. Could you tell me a little about what you'd like to discuss? Thanks

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I would like to know more about TMD as I was only given a leaflet about it and was told about facial exercises. If no better then maybe surgery. How long do I have to do these exercises for

It can need a while, sometimes a few months even ad TMJD can be quite difficult to get rid of. Not impossible and the exercises definitely do work but it can take a little while I'm afraid. In the meantime pain killers and the exercises can help of course.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
How have I got it?

It can be because of the way the jaw is aligned or any issues with teeth over the years. Sometimes it travels in some families too. I'll include a link here for more information which is really helpful:

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/tmj/symptoms-causes/syc-20350941

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
But I don't have any teeth problems

It can also be genetic or be related to how we chew and how the teeth/jaw aligned

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I also don't have problems chewing my food and swallowing

Unfortunately most of the time we actually never find the precise cause. If there's no injury to the jaw or teeth problems, then we usually assume it's genetic in nature.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Ok. Well I will the facial exercises tomorrow and if no better in 4 weeks, should I go back to the doctors

Yes I think that's an appropriate length of time to wait before exploring other options if needed still.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
But in the mean time, take ibuprofen for the pain and a hot compress. Also I was using cilodex ear drops, do I continue using them?

Yes absolutely that would be a good idea.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Sorry, yes to the ear drops
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Thank you for your time and advice

You're so welcome, glad I could help if a little. Do come back if you've questions in the future and all the very best.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Hi again.
Can you tell me what the best exercises and massage are best for this problem

Sure, here you go:

https://www.ouh.nhs.uk/patient-guide/leaflets/files/12128Ptmj.pdf

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Thank you. The leaflet I was given gave me the same exercise but I understand you can also massage the area. Is there a specific way of doing so?

Hi, sure here is a site with some good exercises:

https://www.healthline.com/health/tmj-exercises

All the best again.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Hi doctor again.Why is the pain always worse at night!!