Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
11269312

I have developed a swelling type rash on the upper part of

I have developed a swelling type rash on the upper part of the cheeks on my bottom. My wife thinks it is an infection of some sort that requires antibiotics. It is painful so sit for long periods without a burning sensation. I have tried to get a GPs appointment without success. Can you help please
JA: Are you in any pain? How regular are your periods?
Customer: I am not in any ongoing pain just a feeling of soreness. I am male.
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I am 80 years old and on medication for hypertension. and awaiting an appointment a cardiac check.

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a qualified MD with 18 years’ experience and I am happy to work with you on this.

Please provide some more information so that I can provide you with a better informed answer.

Is the swelling on the skin or inside?

Can you share a pic of the rash and swelling?

How long have you been having these symptoms?

Have you seen a doctor for this? Any tests done?

Please provide this info and I will help you further with my answer.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
The swelling appears to be on the skin on both sides at the top of the cheeks. The part where I sit.
I do not have a picture but my wife does on her phone but she is out.
It started to appear a few weeks ago along with the soreness when I sit for long periods.
I have not been able to see my GP yet.
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
It can also be very itchy

You are having what is called Intertriginous Dermatitis or Intertrigo. This is also called a chafing rash.

What this means is essentially an inflammation of the skin causing sores due to pressure between two folds of skin and fatty tissue.

The pressure between the two folds is causing this to occur.

Sweat collecting between the folds is the primary cause.

Treatment is mainly by keeping this dry and preventing rubbing as far as possible..

Use baby diapers or other such absorbent pads between the folds to keep the area dry.

Also keep the area clean - while showering take care to clean with soap nicely and then wipe it dry carefully.

Apply 1% Hydrocortisone ointment twice daily on the area.

These measures should be sufficient for this.

If it persists you will need to show a doctor for this.

I hope I’ve provided the information you were seeking. If you are happy with my service, your 5-star rating at this time is most welcome. If you need more help, please let me know so l can continue to assist you.
Thank you and I wish you the best of health - stay safe!
Dr. P. Jyoti

I will call you after 10 minutes.

Hello I will call you now.