Dr.Andrew
Dr.Andrew, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Physician,Doctor, medical consultant
75931320

I have been getting recurrent BV infections for the past

Hi, I have been getting recurrent BV infections for the past year and a half after every period, I have been using a suppository gel which gets rid of it but why does it keep coming back?
JA: Are you in any pain? How regular are your periods?
Customer: I am not in any pain, I have a regular period every 4 weeks. I am also now getting them after sexual intercourse as well as after periods
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No thats all, thanks

Welcome to the Justanswer website,

I am Dr.Andrew, a Board-Certified Physician with over 15 years of experience.

I'm sorry you are having this issue. I will do my best to help you.

I'm reviewing your question and will get back to you shortly. Answers here are for education and information only.

Respected customer

I am sorry to hear about your symptoms, but please do not worry. I will try my best to resolve this issue.

Please give me a little more information, and I will help you figure out a solution.

Do you have any vaginal discharge? If yes, what color?

I am waiting for your reply.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
i get white foul smelling discharge

Is there any fishy odor?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
there is

Any redness, soreness, or swelling there?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
No none of the above

Do you know the name of the suppository gel you have used?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
it is called Balance Activ Vaginal Gel

May I know your age?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I have had antibiotics previously as well and both work to clear it up but then it comes back again after my periods and sex
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I am 27

Respected customer

Thank you for providing the details. I can understand your concern and worry.

I am now preparing and typing my answer, and I will post my reply here as soon as it is ready.

In the meantime, you can give more info regarding this issue.

Thanks for your cooperation and patience.

Respected customer

Thank you for staying online,

I am sorry to hear about your problem, and I can understand how uncomfortable you may be feeling, but hopefully, we can resolve this.

Recurrence of BV is common.

To prevent BV in the future, the following is recommended for you:

-Change out of wet clothing, especially wet bathing suits or exercise clothing, as soon as possible.

-Avoid feminine hygiene sprays and douches.

- Use only water and no soap on the vulva and avoid pads.

- Avoid panties made from synthetic materials.

Underwear should be well-ventilated, cotton. Avoid synthetics.

Keep the area as dry as possible, and change any liners every 5 hours. They should be cotton-based.

-Always wipe yourself from front to back after experiencing a bowel movement to prevent fecal matter from coming into contact with your vagina, which can cause a bacterial infection.

-Avoid perfumed soaps, gels, and antiseptics as these can affect the healthy balance of bacteria and pH levels in the vagina and irritate.

-Protect your vagina against infections by using a condom every time you have sex.

-You can help restore the normal bowel flora by eating live bacterial culture yogurt every day for a few weeks

-Probiotics are one of the essential parts of BV infection cure. Among the effective natural treatments are probiotics, or what is commonly called friendly bacteria or beneficial bacteria.

Probiotic microbes are pretty effective in treating BV. There are many brands of probiotics available.

-You can use Probaclac Bacterial Vaginosis Formula. Probaclac contains three probiotic strains to fight bacteria and reduce the recurrence of bacterial vaginosis.

-Use boric acid vaginal suppositories to regulate vaginal pH. This will help significantly to maintain the vaginal pH and prevent a recurrence

All these measures can help significantly in the prevention of Bacterial vaginosis (BV).

I hope I have been able to clarify the situation for you and helped in resolving your query.

I am available to answer any follow-up questions you may have, so please feel free to ask.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.

Respected customer,

You are very welcome! I am glad I was able to help.

If you still have any follow-up questions, please feel free to ask. I am right here to answer you.

I wish you good health and get well soon.

God bless you and take care.