Shahid Karim
Shahid Karim, Board Certified MD
Experience:  MBChB
111381268

Well, yesterday at work my finger started hurting/couldn’t

Well, yesterday at work my finger started hurting/couldn’t bend it and I have no recollection of hurting it. I woke up today and can move my finger but have noticed that there is a big bruise and hurts when I bend it. This is causing a bit of pain up my arm to my elbow?
JA: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? Have you noticed any swelling?
Customer: It was a bit swollen yesterday, but today it seems to be a bruise and bruise has changed in colour since this morning
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I have taken photos on my phone of my finger today

Hi thanks for getting in touch, could you tell me a little more about what you'd like to discuss? Thanks

Are you able to attach a picture?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
My finger as it’s really bruised, it started hurt at work yesterday but have no I idea how I hurt it.
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Here is a photo

Usually the best thing to do would be to apply ice twice a day for at least 20 minutes each in helping to reduce the bruising. I do wonder if there was a slight trauma to have caused a small vessel to rupture. It will be self contained however but using ice and giving it time will help. Also when you sleep at night you should rest that hand on a pillow so that it's elevated a bit this also helps to reduce the swellling.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Another one
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
The bruise has came out more since this morning
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I have no idea how I did it. I work in a nursery and am always on the go. I don’t remember hurting it in any way
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
If it gets worse what should I do?
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I will carry on with the ice and keep my hand elevated. Thank you for your help

It often doesn't have to be a major trauma at all, even picking something up wrong or at an odd angle can do it but really it will get better on it's own and more so with the ice and elevation. I hope you feel better soon, all the very best.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.