How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr Geyik, MBBS Your Own Question
Dr Geyik, MBBS
Dr Geyik, MBBS,
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 531
Experience:  Expert
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr Geyik, MBBS is online now

I am 65 year old man have been told I have enlarged prostate

This answer was rated:

Hi, I am 65 year old man have been told I have enlarged prostate 52 cc and I have been told to have surgery is that only option I have
JA: Is the condition chronic, or acute?
Customer: ? chronic
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I have hypertension and less urine and continues uti

Can I please ask if you have any active symptoms?

And is this a benign enlargement?

Generally speaking if the prostate is quite enlarged and causing symptoms, the best treatment is surgery. But, this is not a major or open surgery. It is performed by passing a probe through your urethra and the prostate gland is resected.

If it is only mildly enlarged and benign and you don't have major symptoms, you do not need to have surgery yet.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I’m speaking behalf of my father He is struggling to empty his bladder but he doesn’t have any active symptom. However he has been having repetitive UTI.

Do you know if the enlargement is benign or cancerous?

Phone call requests are auto generated and you can ignore them.

If the recurrent UTIs are due to his enlarged prostate, this could be another reason for surgery.

Dr Geyik, MBBS and other Medical Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 8 days ago.

Then surgery is voluntary and he doesn't have to have it, however, it could resolve his symptoms and prevent further infections. The other options are long term antibiotics for UTIs plus other tablets for urinary/bladder symptoms.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
We are unsure
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Could the prostrate gland shrink
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Also if he has surgery could he have children

The prostate gland wouldn't shrink on its own. Yes, he can still have children as the sperm comes from his testes and not from the prostate. Prostate gland only secretes some fluids during intercourse.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Would long term antibiotics have effective on his immune system

No, they should not affect his immune system and they are generally safe to use.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Sorry I wouldn’t like phone call
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I have accidentally press on the the call request

No worries. If you have been charged for the phone call, you can contact customer services below and they will refund you:

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Which antibiotic would be good

The common antibiotics are nitrofurantoin or trimethoprim.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Is the recurring UTI link to prostrate enlargement

No, UTIs do not cause prostate enlargement.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
what caused recurring UTI
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
This is the tablet he is been prescribed should he start it or get another doctor opinion
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
does it effect blood pressure because he has hypertension

There are various causes for recurrent UTIs and enlarged prostate is one of them. Other causes are urinary tract abnormalities but I wouldn't know if he has that.

Yes, Tamsulosin is given for enlarged prostate. It doesn't affect blood pressure.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
He doesn’t have it but he has been told he has left kidney infection for 2 months now

That is different from enlarged prostate and it should be treated differently.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Would you recommend him to have prostate surgery

Yes, surgery is very common for enlarged prostate. I do not now how enlarged it is but if it was recommended, then he can go ahead with it.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Thank you very much

You are most welcome.