Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have a question for a doctor please.

I have a question for a doctor please.

Hello, this is Dr. Love.

What question do you have?

Customer: replied 2 days ago.
My son is 10. He was just getting ready for bed and noticed he has a rash on his upper thigh. He has a similar but much smaller rash on the other thigh in the same location.Just before bed he was very hot dancing in some new trousers so I am wondering if it's heat/allergic reaction to the material.What worries me is that the rash does not blanch.He is otherwise well.What do I do?

Yes, it could be an allergic or heat rash. It is also possible that rubbing the skin could cause some minor trauma to the skin.

If he is not having any other symptoms, it is reasonable to manage it as an allergic reaction to see if it helps. You can give him an antihistamine, such as Benadryl/diphenhydramine.

Customer: replied 2 days ago.
Thanks for your reply.I am worried as Google says all non-blanching rashes have to be checked on the day as they could be meningitis etc
Customer: replied 2 days ago.
It is not raised or bumpy like a heat rash. It is bleeding under the skin. Tiny spots and bigger blotches.

No, if he is not having any other symptoms, it is not necessary that he be seen urgently.

Customer: replied 2 days ago.
Can you get a pinprick rash like this and it not be serious though?

Yes, you can, and an allergy is one of the possible causes..

Customer: replied 2 days ago.
He has never had anything like this before though. it mainly looks purple now. Was more red at first. this is a pic i took at first

Since you have found other information that was worrying you, I wanted to find information that reflects what I told you.

See https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/non-blanching-rash#causes-in-adults

Note that it lists several non-serious causes of a non-blanching rash, including allergies, and it also says that someone should be seen if they have accompanying symptoms.

The picture is not worrisome for meningitis.

Customer: replied 2 days ago.
now

It still is not something for which he would need to be seen urgently if he is not having symptoms.

Customer: replied 2 days ago.
Thank you for the link.
This is a picture from just now. It doesn't come up well in a photo but it mainly looks light purple with some red pin pricks. Still happy?

It still is not something for which he would need to be seen urgently if he is not having other symptoms.

Customer: replied 2 days ago.
What about non-urgent things like leukemia and thrombocytopenia? Would that show up all over rather than in one patch?

These can present many ways, but the most important characteristic of the rash of these conditions is that it persists, while most conditions that are not serious that cause such rashes will resolve relatively quickly.

Customer: replied 2 days ago.
Well, it just started tonight so I can't know that yet, but would you be concerned here?
Or would serious illness present with a) other symptoms as you mentioned or b) be less localised?

The location is neither concerning or not concerning.

If he is not having any other symptoms, it is less concerning, which is why I said above that it is reasonable to manage it as an allergy with an antihistamine to see if it helps.

Customer: replied 2 days ago.
Is it worrying that it has come up quite quickly? He did not have it 12 hours ago

Many things come up quickly.

Customer: replied 2 days ago.
Okay. The GP I just spoke to was worried about that as it came up fast. Said it was more worrisome.

OK

Customer: replied 2 days ago.
But you are not concerned by that?

I have already given you my opinion above, and I have given you a link that supports my opinion..

Customer: replied 2 days ago.
Okay. sorry. just scared.

I understand that you are scared and that is part oif why I wanted to find a link that supported what I had answered, but my answer is not going to change simply because you ask the same question using different words.

Customer: replied 2 days ago.
thank you

You ae very welcome.