Dr Baker
Dr Baker, Family Physician
Experience:  MD
108371854

I have a tooth infection now after having my tooth taken out

Hi. I have a tooth infection now after having my tooth taken out on Tuesday. The tooth removed had an abcess. My cheek is 37.5degrees and the other is 36.4degrees. I am looking for the best anti iptics to use please
JA: Have you noticed any swelling in the gums? When was your last visit to the dentist?
Customer: Yes. The gum is still swollen from having the tooth out. I had 2 dentists try to remove it. The first made a .ess and caused me o much pain. The 2nd was my dentist on tuesday
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: My cheek feels warm to the touch on the side where the tooth (a molar) was removed. I was on antibiotics before its removal but I know I need more now to clear this up. I have had an ice pack on my cheek since Christmas day when this started.
Thank you for contacting Just Answer

I am sorry to hear. The temperatures of your cheeks are normal, and wouldn’t be used to assess your core temperature. You should be checking your ear for a tympanic temperature to assess this

Warm skin can just imply inflammation

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
My body yemp is 36.5. But my cheek where the tooth was removed is so hot

As to antibiotics, Metronidazole is often used for an abscess but I would advice contacting your dentist to see if they can see you if you feel it is worsening

It is normal post extraction for inflammation to occur which will cause heat. This does not imply infection

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Thats the one I was on before they removed it. That's reassuring. Thankyou. How long would you say it is normal to have this heat and swelling for?

Thanks, ***** ***** week to 10 days

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
OK. Thankyou.

Thank you and all the best