Dr. Ben
Dr. Ben, Doctor
Experience:  GP Partner, practicing Medicine for 14 years. I have broad experience with special interests in Dermatology, Paediatrics, Sexual Health and Oncology.
105673646

I am in terrible pain with a sore throat. Can barely swallow

Customer Question

Hi. I am in terrible pain with a sore throat. Can barely swallow and feels like airways closing especially in the night. I have been using paracetamol, ibuprofen, gargling with salt water, spoonful of honey each day, lozenges and now for past 4 days using Difflam spray but still really bad. I’ve spoken to a pharmacist who advised me to contact you to request amoxicillin immediately.
JA: How long have you had the symptoms? Do you have a fever?
Customer: No fever, throat is extremely red and inflamed.
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No - Thankyou
Expert:  Dr. Ben replied 18 days ago.
Hello, thank you for trusting JustAnswer with your question. I’m Dr. Ben and I’m here to assist you today. Please allow me a few moments to review your question and I’ll be right back.
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Thankyou
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Ok
Expert:  Dr. Ben replied 18 days ago.

I’m sorry to hear about this problem, it does sound nasty and really ought to have a medical examination today (I don’t think that prescribing antibiotics with an examination first is advisable).

I suggest arranging this via the out of hours GP service, normally this is accessible through NHS 111.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Well I’m not happy with that. The pharmacist said you would be able to help me with antibiotics. Feel I’ve wasted the membership fee to be told this.
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
I am cancelling immediately
Expert:  Dr. Ben replied 18 days ago.

I’m sorry to hear that. I do believe the advice above is appropriate in this situation.

JustAnswer is an information and advisory service. The experts are not allowed to issue or prescribe any form of medication.

I hope you feel better soon.