Dr. K.
Dr. K., Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified with experience in primary care.
65718478

My wife, who suffers from BPD is insisting I’m an alcoholic

My wife, who suffers from BPD is insisting I’m an alcoholic and wants me to admit to being an alcoholic. I drink small amounts most days over several hours but never get drunk, I very seldom drink in the day
JA: Have you used any medication for alchoholism?
Customer: I meditate sometimes but not for alcoholism
JA: Got it. Have you seen a doctor about alchoholism?
Customer: As I said I do not believe I am an alcoholic
JA: Thank you so much for your time. Finally, is there anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: I have asthma and have never taken any drugs

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. I am Dr K. I have over 25 years of clinical experience and look forward to answering your question. i may need more information from you, so I may ask for that. My goal is to provide a complete answer to your question and to be sure you are satisfied with that answer.

I am sorry that you are having this problem but will do my best to assist you and answer your questions.    I’m sorry your wife has said this.   It sounds like she has paranoia.

What type of alcohol do you drink?   Exactly how much?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I used to drink a bottle of wine every evening over 4-5 hours, she accused me of being an alcoholic so I stopped drinking the next day and only started drinking after a 6 month gap. I normally have 2 or 3 500ml bottles of beer over 3-4 hours or if she wants champagne half a bottle of champagne and 1-2 bottles of beer
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Her daughter has just been admitted to hospital and has been diagnosed with first time psychosis, which has triggered her to blame me

Drinking a bottle of wine every night does make you an alcoholic.   Some sources say drinking daily makes you an alcoholic.

A 500 cc beer is about 50% more than a normal beer, so 2-3 of those is 3-4.5 drinks daily.    This is about 21-30 drinks weekly.    For a man, “moderate drinking “ is less than 14 drinks a week.   So , I would say you are an alcoholic
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
where is the line? I never get drunk, it never effects me the next day.

As I noted above, 14 drinks or less is still considered moderate drinking.   7 or less in a week is “social”     Not getting drunk off this much alcohol also is common in alcoholics.   You have developed a tolerance due to heavy drinking.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Where do you cross the line from moderate drinking to alcoholic?

Pretty sure I noted that above.   14 drinks a week.

Plus the development of tolerance supports a diagnosis of alcoholism.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok thank you, ***** ***** I drop to 14 drinks per week I would not be classed as an alcoholic
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I always thought an alcoholic was someone who once started drinking does not stop until they pass out

That is a bit of an oversimplified way to look at it,    But yes.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I always thought an alcoholic was someone who once started drinking does not stop until they pass out, and wakes up in the morning and reaches for the whiskey
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No, thats not the case.    Look up the CAGE scoring online.