Dr.Sumanth
Dr.Sumanth, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Consultant Pediatrician at Kanchi Kamakoti CHILDS Trust Hospital
101124971

I’ve asked consultants and doctors in regards for my head

Customer Question

Hi. I’ve asked consultants and doctors in regards ***** ***** head headache. I have headache neck and back of head, can cause dizziness at times and fatigue.
Would this be seen as tension headaches or migraine?Am considering Botox for headaches as nothing else seems to work. I didn’t suit the tablets given to prevent headaches. Any suggestions on Botox for tension type headaches as I’m having them daily and even when I walk or move around the headache comes on at the back
Of my head either side
Expert:  Dr.Sumanth replied 17 days ago.
Hi,Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm Dr. Sumanth. I've 17years of experience in the field of Medicine. I'm currently reviewing your query, be back ASAP.
Hello... I understand your concern. I need some more information please.

1. May I know your age and gender please?

2. Since how long have you had these symptoms?

3. Is there any dizziness so severe that you need to hold on to something when you feel dizzy?

4. Do positional changes (like turning head/ turning around/ standing from sitting) induce dizziness?

5. Are these headaches associated with nausea and vomiting and if there is vomiting does the headache get better?

6. During the headache are you in an irritable mood?

7. Does sleep make the headache better?

8. Do flashes of light like you experience while driving at night because of oncoming vehicle lights or seeing TV in a dark room or stress, precipitate headache?

9. Is the headache always one sided or does it alternate?

10. Off late have you observed any weakness of any body part?

11. Are you currently on any medication?

12. Is there any personal or family history of migraine?

13. Is there any personal or family history of seizure disorder please?

14. Does this head ache last only for few seconds with very high intensity or is it a dull nagging head ache going on for hours together?

Please get back to me with the above information so that I can guide you better.

Kind regards ***** ***** Sumanth Amperayani

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Age:37
Headache 5 years, but this bad since July 2021
I am very irritable with headache and anxious, sleep helps a bit. No flashes. The headache is always at back of head near neck.
No other weakness, mother has migraine. No seizure in family, the headache always dull for hours. Having it most days. Headache starts at back of head, feels like dull
Ache then I can’t walk and feel so fatigue and irritable. I’ve had ct scans all clear and all clear with blood work.

Hi... Thank you for getting back with the requested necessary information.

From your symptom analysis and correlating it with the history that I have gathered from you, I feel that you are having migraine without Aura / stress headache / tension headache.

As of now the best relief you will get is from Tablet Ibuprofen 400mg taken three times a day after food.

But if your headache is recurrent and is becoming debilitating then I suggest prevention will be the best way out and the best drug for that will be tablet Propranolol started at the dose of 10 mg per day and gradually increase to 40mg per day based on the treatment response.

But Propranolol is a prescription drug and you will require medical evaluation and doctors prescription for it.

The other option is Amlodipine.

In addition to these medications, please follow -

1. Good sleep hygiene of 8 hours of sleep per day.

2. Avoid certain food like high sugar content and caffeine before bed.

3. You may consider over the counter Melatonin 3mg before bed may help both headaches and sleep as well.

4. Avoiding stress. Meditation and yoga can help.

5. Avoid certain foods.

https://www.withcove.com/learn/migraine-trigger-foods

Regarding the headache the other extremely unlikely possibility is benign intracranial hypertension.

May I suggest you discuss these possibilities with your primary care physician and get yourself appropriately evaluated and managed please.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you today!

Is there anything else where I can be of assistance to you in this regard please. We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
I tried all medication for prevention such as amitriptaline which makes me so drowsy and others also. No I take ibuprofen
And paracetamol if headache is very bad.
Cbd oil helps it also.

But have you the above medications I have suggested.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
I have. Propanol is not suitable for this who don’t have high blood pressure as minds usually on low side so I cannot have it
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Does Botox help? My muscles are always very tight in neck and trapezium

Yes in that case Botox helps in releiving the spasm.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
I may only have this option
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Can probiotics cause migraines? I’ve started supplement and realised mines been bad since
No, till now no literature evidence for that.