Dr. Ben
Dr. Ben, Doctor
Experience:  GP Partner, practicing Medicine for 14 years. I have broad experience with special interests in Dermatology, Paediatrics, Sexual Health and Oncology.
105673646

I recently lost a big toe nail. The new one is growing in,

Customer Question

I recently lost a big toe nail . The new one is growing in, but is now causing an infection. My toe is red, hurting when I touch it and looks pussy. Can I get some antibiotic cream without contacting my GP [who is difficult to see].
JA: Have you used antibiotic or anything similar before?
Customer: No.
JA: Got it. Have you used anything besides antibiotic for this?
Customer: No
JA: Thank you so much for your time. Finally, is there anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: I am a diabetic of 76 years
Expert:  Dr. Ben replied 18 days ago.
Hello, thank you for trusting JustAnswer with your question. I’m Dr. Ben and I’m here to assist you today. Please allow me a few moments to review your question and I’ll be right back.
Expert:  Dr. Ben replied 18 days ago.

I’m sorry to hear about this problem.

Antibiotics, both oral and topical, need to be prescribed. It sounds like this actually may require oral antibiotics especially as you are diabetic, so I would recommend calling NHS 111 so this can be assessed and treated by the out of hours GP service today.

In the meantime antiseptic creams such as savlon or germolene may be of some benefit, but in my opinion unlikely to be adequate for treating this alone.

Expert:  Dr. Ben replied 18 days ago.
Thank you again for trusting JustAnswer with your question. If you have any additional concerns, or need me to clarify anything, please let me know and I am happy to help.