Dr Geyik, MBBS
Dr Geyik, MBBS,
Experience:  Expert
113018656

My wife has COPD we’re staying in hotel in Belgrave Road

Customer Question

Hi my wife has COPD we’re staying in hotel in Belgrave Road Torquay I had to call paramedics out early this morning they said she needs antibiotics she is coughing a lot I would like your advice
JA: How long have you been dealing with the cough? Are you having any other symptoms?
Customer: Breathing difficulties
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: she had COPD
Expert:  Dr Geyik, MBBS replied 9 days ago.

Hello. This is Dr Geyik and I will be assisting you today.

Can I please ask your wife's age and if she has any other medical conditions or allergies, or take medications?

Is there any phlegm with the cough and what colour it is? Any chest or other pains, wheeze, fever, vomiting, bleeding, or other symptoms?

If your wife has phlegm with the cough and it is yellow/green/brown/grey and she has breathing difficulties, she may require face to face assessment by a doctor and/or antibiotics for possible infective exacerbation of your COPD. 

Therefore, I suggest you contact NHS 111 now as they can see her to make an assessment and they can also prescribe antibiotics and send the prescription to your local pharmacy where you are now.

She can increase her blue inhaler (Ventolin - salbutamol) if she has one and this can help her breathing.

She can take paracetamol for any fever if she is not allergic to this. And she could also try warm drinks with lemon/honey/ginger and steaming.

There are various cough medicines over the counter and you can try one but they don't always work. Steaming can be as effective as those cough medicines.

If she has very bad breathing difficulties and/or chest pain, I suggest you take her to A+E for full assessment.

*her

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
No phlegm very warm temperature very bad ches saw chest with co she is having lemon honey she’s 78years medication Ramipril Bisoprol Eliquis Furosemide

If she has very bad chest, I suggest you call 111 now so that they can assess her face to face if needed, or prescribe her antibiotics and send the prescription to a pharmacy in your local area.