Dr.Sumanth
Dr.Sumanth, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Consultant Pediatrician at Kanchi Kamakoti CHILDS Trust Hospital
101124971

I am coughing up flem which is discoloured, a few weeks but

Customer Question

I am coughing up flem which is discoloured
JA: How long have you been dealing with the cough? Are you having any other symptoms?
Customer: a few weeks but shortness of breath
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no nothing
Expert:  Dr.Sumanth replied 9 days ago.
Hi,Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm Dr. Sumanth. I've 17years of experience in the field of Medicine. I'm currently reviewing your query, be back ASAP.
Expert:  Dr.Sumanth replied 9 days ago.

Hello... I understand your concern. I need some more information please.

1. May I know your age and gender please?

2. How many days per month do you cough or feel breathless?

3. How many nights per month does your sleep get disturbed due to above symptoms?

4. Do you feel breathless when exerting or exercising?

5. Are the symptoms aggravated when there are seasonal changes?

6. Is there any family history of asthma or any other sort of allergies like skin allergy etc.?

7. Does spicy food or heavy meal aggravate your symptoms?

8. Do you have mouth breathing and snoring at night?

9. Which is most predominant symptoms - cough / breathlessness / runny nose / blocked nose?

10. What is your profession please?

Please get back to me with the above information so that I can guide you better.

Kind regards ***** ***** Sumanth Amperayani

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
57 Female
Coughing often with mucus
Nights not too bad
No asthma
I think I snore
Breathlessness
I am a service manager
Expert:  Dr.Sumanth replied 9 days ago.

Hello...thank you for giving me an important information about profession.

By what you say I feel that the possibilities are -

1. Mild intermittent asthma as per GINA guidelines and international recommendations and classification. It is classical to present intermittently like this.

2. Seasonal bronchitis.

3. Viral Bronchitis.

4. Extremely rare - but if you have been exposed to mold then we may need to consider allergic bronchopulmonary aspergillosis.

My suggestions for you -

1. Oral Prednisolone at 20mg thrice a day dose for 2 - 3 days.

2. Inhalers are the newest management strategies for this. I suggest the use of Formoterol+Budesonide metered dose inhaler (100mcg) 4 puffs twice a day through a spacer and this is for regular use for 2 weeks and then you can taper down to 3 puffs twice a day for another 2 weeks and then stabilize at 2 puffs twice a day to continue. Another metered dose inhaler is Levosalbutamol / Albuterol and this can used as rescue therapy whenever you are having severe cough in spite of regular usage of Budesonide- Formoterol. The technique is very important and very crucial for the drug to be delivered correctly to the lungs. Regularity of medicine usage also matters a lot. So do not discontinue abruptly after you notice some improvement. The technique of administering an inhaler using a spacer has to be taught to you by your doctor and these are prescription medicines. So I suggest you consult your physician for this.

3. Tablet Monteleukast 10mg once a day in the evening at 6pm daily for 3 months.

4. Triggers can be environmental changes/ dust/ talcum powder/ seasonal changes/ un-cleaned a/c vents/ cold weather etc....we cannot specifically say this is the cause - unless we observe closely - best person is yourself.

5. You will require a spirometry.

6. If these doesn't work then we need to think about a restrictive lung disease as an occupational exposure related issue.

The other possibility is an evolving interstitial lung disease (but extremely unlikely as breathlessness would be the predominant symptom than cough).

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you today!

Is there anything else where I can be of assistance to you in this regard please. We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know.