Zee J
Zee J,
Experience:  Expert
113630574

My boy 4 years old, having a high temperature of 39.8 40.5

Customer Question

Good evening. My boy 4 years old, having a high temperature of 39.8 40.5 during the night, I am giving mixed paracetamol and ibuprofen but temperature does not really goes under 38, just once this morning it was 37.8 and after 2 hours it jumped back to 39.8. I am not sure what to do as it was no any symptoms until today. Today morning he started noseblock, and in the evening i felt lump under his ear. It will be 3rd night and not looking forward to it as the temperature rises above 40...
JA: How long have you had the lump? Is it hard or soft?
Customer: Just from evening 3hours maybe, today in the morning I checked nothing was there
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No
Expert:  Zee J replied 11 days ago.

Hello and thanks for your question. I’d be pleased to assist you. Kindly answer following questions for further advice:

Past medical history?

Any medicines using?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
No past history as it is a child 4 years old.Since friday I am using paracetamol and neurofen to reduce temperature, with medication used it goes only until 38, yesterday night it went from 39.9 to 39 after paracetamol
Expert:  Zee J replied 11 days ago.

Expert:  Zee J replied 11 days ago.

Looks like he might be having flu

Expert:  Zee J replied 11 days ago.

A high temperature is very common in young children. The temperature usually returns to normal within 3 or 4 days.

Expert:  Zee J replied 11 days ago.

A high temperature is the body's natural response to fighting infections like coughs and colds.

Many things can cause a high temperature in children, from common childhood illnesses like common cold, flu sore throat and tonsillitis, to vaccinations.

Expert:  Zee J replied 11 days ago.

You can usually look after your child or baby at home. The temperature usually returns to normal within 3-4 days:

1. give plenty of fluids and look out for signs of dehydration
  2. give routine food if they want it
  3. check on your child regularly during the night
  4. keep at home
  5. give paracetamol and Ibuprofen if needed regularly for next 2-3 days
  6. Please do not undress your child or sponge them down to cool them, a high temperature is a natural and healthy response to infection and also do not cover them up in too many clothes or bedclothes

Expert:  Zee J replied 11 days ago.

Need to see doctor quickly only if:

• has a high temperature that's lasted for 5 days or more
  • has a high temperature that does not come down with paracetamol and Ibuprofen
  • is dehydrated – such as nappies that are not very wet, sunken eyes, and no tears when they're crying
  • does not want to eat, or is not their usual self and you're worried
  • Problems with breathing
  • has other signs of illness, such as a rash, as well as a high temperature
  • has a rash that does not fade when you press a glass against it
  • has a fit (febrile seizure) for the first time (they cannot stop shaking)
  • has blue, pale or blotchy skin, lips or tongue
  • is drowsy and hard to wake

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
It was no any visible symptoms until today, he was active with high temperature which medicine does not really reduced. Only today the lump apeared and nose block. he had a flu before it is nothing similar as the temperature is high all the time and medicine does not really help
Expert:  Zee J replied 11 days ago.

Ok if you think that the paracetamol and Ibuprofen are not helping and temperature remains high then he needs a pediatrician review

Expert:  Zee J replied 11 days ago.

So best would be take him to local hospital children emergency to get reviewed once

Expert:  Zee J replied 11 days ago.

The on call child specialist would review him to be on the safe side

Expert:  Zee J replied 11 days ago.

and if needed might suggest antibiotics also after taking blood tests if required

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Now it's 38.5 after paracetamol which I gave at 20.50 before was 39.2 so it reduces only little
Expert:  Zee J replied 11 days ago.

I can understand

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Ok, thank you
Expert:  Zee J replied 11 days ago.

As one of the indications is 

Expert:  Zee J replied 11 days ago.

so please get him reviewed

Expert:  Zee J replied 11 days ago.

You are welcome

Please do let me know if you have any further questions in future I would be happy to answer

Best of luck