Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
11269312

My friend is isn severe abdominal pain, vomiting and

Customer Question

My friend is isn severe abdominal pain, vomiting and shivering
JA: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?
Customer: 2 hours early getting worse
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Now two episodes of loose stools as well
Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 8 days ago.

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a qualified MD with 18 years’ experience and I am happy to work with you on this.

Please provide some more information so that I can provide you with a better informed answer.

What is their age and gender?

How long have they been having this pain in the abdomen?

Have you seen a doctor for this? Any tests done?

Please provide this info and I will help you further with my answer.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
36,male, started all of a sudden had an episode 6 days ago and settled without any meeds

There can be a large number of causes for pain lower abdomen. This could be simply due to something bad that you ate which is causing pain in the gastro intestinal tract. You can observe it for a day or two, it should usually subside by then.

For now, you should try with:

Take OTC painkillers like Motrin/Advil one tab 8 hourly to control the pain. You should take it after food as it can cause gastritis. If there is any gastritis, take OTC Cap. Prilosec one cap daily.

Lots of fluids - water, juice, Gatorade.

Avoid smoking, cut down on alcohol, cut down on caffeine

High fiber diet -vegetables, fruits, non processed meat and fish - be sure to take nutritious diet

Avoid fatty fried foods

Maintaining regular bowel movements at fixed time

Regular hours of sleep

Regular exercise - take 30 minutes of walk 5 times a week.

This will help to regularize the system, but if the symptoms persist show your doctor for further investigations.

Lower abdominal pain in men can have many causes:

Intestinal causes: Intestinal causes like stomach viruses, ameobiasis, more chronic causes like diverticulitis, adhesions, intussusception, ulcerative colitis, Crohn's disease, Irritable bowel syndrome, etc.

Genitourinary causes: there are a large number of causes here too, like like renal pain due to stones, glomerulonephritis, ureteric stone, bladder infections, etc.

Muscle pain: due to muscular trauma during exercise, sports, etc.

As such, a lower abdominal pain could be caused by a very large number of causes. In most cases it is due to some simple GIT problem like intake of some injurious food which causes spasms in the intestine and pass off in a couple of days. If symptoms persist, you should consult a doctor for this, you should consult your family physician or PCP. You will need to be examined clinically and if necessary undergo investigations like an ultrasound examination of the lower abdomen to find out the exact cause form the large number of possibilities.

Hope this resolves your query. If you need more help, just write back here so l can continue to assist. Stay safe!

Dr. P. Jyoti