Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
11269312

I have a constant pain in my lower left back and pelvis the

Customer Question

Hi, I have a constant pain in my lower left back and pelvis the last 2/3 weeks and yesterday i noticed a bit of yellow discharge
JA: Have you used any medication for pain?
Customer: no just one night i took paracetamol i thought it was a uti but the only symptom is the pain
JA: Got it. Have you seen a doctor about pain?
Customer: not yet should i get checked?
JA: Thank you so much for your time. Finally, is there anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: no
Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 10 days ago.

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a qualified MD with 18 years’ experience and I am happy to work with you on this.

Please provide some more information so that I can provide you with a better informed answer.

What is your age and gender?

How long have you been having these symptoms?

Have you seen a doctor for this? Any tests done?

Please provide this info and I will help you further with my answer.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Female, 23
I would say 3 weeks now
No not seen doctor yet
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
no call thanks

Thank you for your reply. Please hold on while I type out your answer. This can take a few minutes as we often have our offline work to deal with and also sometimes a number of customers at the same time.

Please dont worry about the call request, it is generated automatically by the website, not by me. I will help you through text.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
thank you!

Lower abdominal pain in women can have many causes:

Intestinal causes: Intestinal causes like stomach viruses, ameobiasis, more chronic causes like diverticulitis, adhesions, intussusception, ulcerative colitis, Crohn's disease, Irritable bowel syndrome, etc.

Genitourinary causes: there are a large number of causes here too, like like renal pain due to stones, glomerulonephritis, ureteric stone, bladder infections, etc.

In case of females, there may also be ovarian causes, uterine causes, fallopian tube causes and urinary tract infections.

Nerve Entrapment: various forms of nerve entrapment like pudendal nerve entrapment, genitofemoral nerve entrapment, etc will also cause you this type of pain.

As such, a lower abdominal pain could be caused by a very large number of causes. Some reproductive tract cause is more likely for you since you are having a yellow discharge. You are possibly having an infection of your genital tract. It could also be due to causes like ovarian cysts or some problems in the uterus. The other cause that you should rule out is pudendal nerve entrapment or genitofemoral nerve entrapment which can also cause pain in the abdomen and lower back.

You should consult a doctor for this, you should consult your family physician or PCP. You will need to be examined clinically and if necessary undergo investigations like an ultrasound examination of the lower abdomen to find out the exact cause form the large number of possibilities.

For now, you should try with:

Take OTC painkillers like Motrin/Advil one tab 8 hourly to control the pain. You should take it after food as it can cause gastritis. If there is any gastritis, take OTC Cap. Prilosec one cap daily.

Lots of fluids - water, juice, Gatorade.

Avoid smoking, cut down on alcohol, cut down on caffeine

High fiber diet -vegetables, fruits, non processed meat and fish - be sure to take nutritious diet

Avoid fatty fried foods

Maintaining regular bowel movements at fixed time

Regular hours of sleep

Regular exercise - take 30 minutes of walk 5 times a week.

This will help to regularize the system, but if the symptoms persist show your doctor for further investigations.

Hope this resolves your query. If you need more help, just write back here so l can continue to assist. Stay safe!

Dr. P. Jyoti