Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
11269312

I am looking for help with anxiety, which has come from

Customer Question

I am looking for help with anxiety, which has come from extensive use of cannabis smoking.
JA: How long have you been dealing with this? Is there anything in particular that seems to make the symptoms better or worse?
Customer: I have been dealing with overwhelming amount of anxiety for the previous 2 or 3 months.
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No.
Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 17 days ago.

Hello, my name is***** I am a qualified MD with 18 years’ experience and I am happy to work with you on this.

I am reviewing your question and will be back with my response shortly.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Good afternoon. Thanks for your help.
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
I would prefer live chat please.
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Just to give you some context to my situation:
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
I started smoking around March 2018, and I went to Australia. I smoked regularly, everyday for around a year. I then took a few months off but returned to day smoking in June 2019.In October 2019 I was feeling anxious. I’ve always felt somewhat anxious but always confident. I felt as though small things were getting on top of me and I would often feel overwhelmed by anxiety. I feel the physical affects of anxiety a lot. My chest aches and I immediately feel exhausted. I saw my doctor and was put on 40mg medication to help with anxiety. I also stopped smoking.After a few months, I felt somewhat better. I was smoking again after work in February 2020. Then lockdown happened. In mid-march I was told to work from home permanently. This was good, but it locked me away and my smoking took over as I had nothing else to do. I never smoked during work hours at this time.Daily smoking from Feb 2020 til June 2021, (I went on a month holiday to Croatia), that helped. I had menacing nightmares for the first week of sleeping sober, but I found that after a week or so, I was more energetic. I felt as though I didn’t want to smoke. It was a good feeling. I felt good. I arrived home late June 2021 and unfortunately being back in the environment, I smoked again. I smoked every evening and week-end from June 2021 until I was made redundant in November 2021. My work end date was February 28th, so I still had 4 months at the company. The morale was down as more or less everyone was made redundant. I smoked throughout the working day during these 4 months.I wanted to take a few weeks off and clear my head in March, but I was offered a job to start immediately after my end date. I accepted. It’s a great opportunity, and I still work remotely which I wanted (due to my anxiety now).I am also a full time law student at the open university. I don’t know how to deal with my stress without smoking. I wake up every single morning with severe anxiety. I’m often sick due to this. I don’t eat breakfast due to never having an appetite because I’m anxious. I hate this feeling.This is affecting my work, my studies, my relationship with my partner and friends. Weed is the only thing that I feel helps when I’m overwhelmed, but I feel weed is the very thing causing these feelings.I feel as though when I have no motivation or struggling to concentrate on work, I get anxious. When I think too much about the unknown, it makes me feel sick. I feel as though smoking makes me ultimately less motivated and less concentrated.

Thank you for your reply. Please hold on while I type out your answer. This can take a few minutes as we often have our offline work to deal with and also sometimes a number of customers at the same time.

You are having anxiety disorder.

The cannabis has contributed to this no doubt.

You should consult a psychiatrist for this. Psychological diseases are as much diseases as physical diseases. We need to get them treated as matter of factly as we treat a physical disease. There are a wide range of drugs anti anxiety drugs which will no doubt help you to regain control of your life.If you cannot get a direct appointment with a psychiatrist, you should show your Primary Doctor or your GP. If necessary your GP or Primary will refer you to a psychiatrist.

Dont try to deal with this alone. Get help, show your doctor. Anxiety is a very common medical condition in the modern age, and you must deal with this medically. A very large number of people suffer from this and have been able to find help through medicines and counselling which your doctor can prescribe for you.

If you do not have a doctor or a psychiatrist, you need to google 'psychiatrist near me' to see a list of practices, and then choose one and call and make an appointment.

Some steps you can take for now are:

Chamom

Lots of fluids - water, juice, Gatorade.

Vt. C, Zinc and Vitamin B complex supplements -you can get this at your pharmacy.

Regular exercise - take 30 minutes of walk 5 times a week at the minimum. This is the most important step.

Maintain optimal weight – check your BMI on the net, its easily done. If you are overweight, try to reduce weight by at least 5 pounds, this will help greatly.

Avoid smoking, cut down on alcohol, cut down on caffeine

Regular hours of sleep - this is most important.

These steps will help, but you should consult your doctor or a psychiatrist at the earliest for this.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Hello. Thanks for this. I am struggling to find a doctor near me, that is why I am here. How do I get this medication?

You can get help through NHS for combating your cannabis addiction and your anxiety, dont worry.

NHS has local drug addiction treatment centres, you can discuss with your GP for referring you to one or you can go directly to a centre.

Use this link to find a drug treatment service centre near you:

https://www.nhs.uk/service-search/other-services/Drug%20treatment%20services/LocationSearch/340

Various interventions like Cognitive Behavioral therapy, couples therapy and incentives are given through NHS to help you combat this.

They will also provide anti anxiety drugs for you.