Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

I recently had protected sex (condom) and it might have

Customer Question

Hi there, I recently had protected sex (condom) and it might have broken. It was a one night stand so I don’t know the person. How worried do I need to be about hiv?
JA: Is this your first time reaching out for information about this? In general, how would you describe your overall health?
Customer: im healthy
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No that’s it thanks
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 8 days ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I shall be assisting you today. I'm reviewing your query & will get back to you shortly. Thank you for your patience.
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 8 days ago.

As far as the other person is not a sex worker and the condom broke at the end the chances are less so no worries, just get a test after 4 weeks post exposure for further reassurance.

If you need more assistance, please use the reply box below and let me know. It has been my pleasure to assist you. I will be happy to help you if you have any other questions in the future. Best wishes.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Hi oka, thanks! I already got the post’s exposure meds and started them within 24h so thanks for reassuring. And no , no sex worker but just someone I don’t know a typical one night stand. For PEP as it makes me nauseous can I take something against that? And I was told to take 3 tablets everyday, the same time for 28 days
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 8 days ago.

Yes, you are on teh right track, you can take ginger tea or antacid like gaviscon or antinausea available OTC in the pharmavy near you.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Okay thanks! That makes me less worried
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 8 days ago.

you are welcome.

Best wishes.