Dr. Nickols M
Dr. Nickols M, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Expert
115571763

I have a Urology query, Yes, it's my partner. He is not

Customer Question

Hi I have a Urology query
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: Yes, it's my partner. He is not currently on medication
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: My partner is a 59 year old male with confirmed BPH. He had prostate biopsies done in Aug 21 which were benign. His PSA was 3.7 in Jan 22 however in April jumped to 5.2. Is this concerning?
JA: Are you keeping a personal medical record while dealing with this?
Customer: Yes
Expert:  Dr. Nickols M replied 16 days ago.

Hello, I am Dr. Nickols M. It's a pleasure to attend to your question

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
It's not convenient for me to talk right now, sorry

not problem, we can continue via chat

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Talk on the phone I mean

Does he take any other medication regularly?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
No, he doesnt

Does he feel any pain, burning, or discomfort when urinating?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
No nothing at all. No symptoms of anything and he is fit and well. That's why we are quite surprised. He has his levels reviewed every 6 mths and they were always around 3.7 approximately, until now. Can levels fluctuate for no reason?

please give me a moment

Dear customer, it is a pleasure to serve you, I want to tell you that the levels of prostatic antigen can fluctuate depending on the sexual activity of the patient, factors such as the use of cigarettes, alcoholic beverages and the type of treatment that the patient has, it is essential that if you have already been in therapy with tamsulosin is studied the possibility of adjusting the dose and if it is not necessary to consider the possibility of starting it, sometimes patients who come with chronic treatment with tamsulosin may have elevated prostatic antigen figures and sometimes only with the abandonment of treatment is usually sufficient, Remember that the prostatic antigen alone does not indicate anything, this is only one of the factors that must be taken as criteria to determine what is happening, the prostatic antigen must be taken into account together with a pelvic prostatic ultrasound, a digital rectal exam and sometimes also acute phase reactants which are specific blood tests that are performed to see if there is an inflammatory process in the prostate, so a series of additional tests must be performed to see if this elevation is related to the inflammatory process or not.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Ok thank you Doctor. I have ordered a repeat set of bloods and will take it from there. My partner is not on any treatment nor does he smoke.
You are welcome. Regards