Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
11269312

Been house bound for 12 weeks my doctors are saying I have

Customer Question

Hi been house bound for 12 weeks my doctors are saying I have depression and anxiety had diabeties liver kidney and routine bloods and water sample apart from very low bit of fat in liver all negative...not sleeping although showing I don't have a temperature my body is hot...dizzy all the time...weeing bout 7 to 8 times a day...mouth and throat constantly dry feel like I have limited saliva...zero energy and have lost nearly 2 stone in just over 2 months...got no appetite but forcing myself to eat...the last 4 days suffering with back pain in ribs near spine worse when I sit or stand and subsides when I lye down been using ibrophen gel and paracetemol as a bit scared to try other meds as on 10 mg citalopram...would be most grateful if you could suggest what I could take for the pain.
JA: How long have you been feeling this way? Have you reached out to anyone about this yet?
Customer: Yes speaking to a councillor
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I have cold hands and feet and muscle twitches but I do have raynards but never bothered me until I took bad.
Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 15 days ago.

Hello, my name is***** I am a qualified MD with 18 years’ experience and I am happy to work with you on this.

I am reviewing your question and will be back with my response shortly.

You are having multiple symptoms which are not related. They are not due to some physical disease. These symptoms are due to stress and anxiety and not due any physical problem.

You are just going through an acute episode of stress and this is causing your symptoms.

You need to calm down and get over this. The primary cause of your symptoms is health anxiety. You do not have any physical cause of the symptoms, the cause is mental and these are functional symptoms.

You should see your Family Physician / Primary care physician and ask about stress/depression which can set off this health anxiety. Anti anxiety medicines will benefit you greatly - ask for them. You can also ask for a referral to a psychiatrist who can deal with stress and anxiety better.

You have to focus on your health anxiety and not think about getting the symptoms treated. It is only by treating your health anxiety that you will be able to come out of this cycle and regain control over your life.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I am taking citalopram which the doctor is weaning me off to start sertaline...I'm trying but with feeling constantly dizzy can only do limited things...being in pain is also limiting me...if I could get rid of dizziness and pain would be a great help

You can do the following rehabilitation exercises which will help with the dizziness:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-3Zd95PzDk

You should also take Cap. Benadryl twice daily, this helps with dizziness. It may cause some sleepiness.

Steps you can take for the pain in the spinal region near the ribs at home are:

Exercise: exercise is the most effective remedy for this in the early stages.

Look up here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGjZ_XAvaXI
Heat: Use warm compresses for this

Massager: If you have a hand held massager at home, use this

Thoracic support: Bad posture is a very important cause for this. Buy a good thoracic posture support which is available OTC at pharmacies, discuss with your pharmacist.
Medications: pain killers like NSAIDS, will help when pain is more.

Lifestyle changes: Regular exercise is essential. Use a firm mattress, mattress should neither be too hard nor soft. Be careful of posture - have a firm posture and avoid slouching. Be careful specially when working on the computer. Avoid lifting heavy weights.

If pain persists after this, you have to approach your doctor. Your doctor can prescribe other medications for this.