Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
11269312

I'm suspected of having FND. I've been on involuntary sick

I'm suspected of having FND. I've been on involuntary sick leave for three months waiting for diagnosis and treatment but my Neurologist is on sick leave also. I'm not sure what to do as my drop attacks are becoming more frequent, my pain is increasing, and so is my fatigue.
JA: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?
Customer: 15 years. And nothing appears to affect the pain. It's always there and it does fluctuate some days but nothing I do changes it.
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I don't think so

Hello, my name is***** I am a qualified MD with 18 years’ experience and I am happy to work with you on this.

I am reviewing your question and will be back with my response shortly.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.

You should consult your GP for this. You need not wait for the neurologist.

Your pain is due to FND. It is more of a mental nature than physical. You can discuss the following treatments with your GP:

Medicine treatment is the first line of treatment. The most commonly used is Gabapentin. This is sufficient for the majority of cases. Besides this, there are other drugs -Topiramate (Topamax), pregabalin (Lyrica), carbamazepine (Tegretol) are some of the other drugs that you should discuss with your doctor.

Narcotic Analgesics: narcotic analgesics can be given during painful episodes.

Tricyclic antidepressants: drugs like Amitryptiline are combined to give effective relief.

These medicines will give you relief for the pain.

In addition you should discuss about anti anxiety and anti depressants.

Hope this resolves your query. If you need more help, just write back here so l can continue to assist. Stay safe!

Dr. P. Jyoti

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Hi, thanks for the response. I'm currently on Sertraline and Amitriptyline. We've not tried Gabapentin so that might be the next option if the Amitriptyline (which I only started Friday) doesn't help relieve the pain.
Thank you for your help! Stay safe!

Glad to help.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
My mother has just suggested me asking.Would you suggest the following do correlate with an FND diagnosis?CT, MRI, MRI with Contrast have all come back clean. Nothing in blood work, eye pressure correct, optical nerve normal.40-100 drop attacks/seizures a week, Atonic for the most part, some partial, some absent.Chronic pain, radiating - not localised. Both muscle and bone pain.Tics - causing jerking, sounds, and phrases spoken without control.Muscle weakness and limb paralysis after episodes/seizures causing me to be in a wheelchair, though I can usual walk.Fatigue causing me to sleep up to 18 hours a day unless the pain is too bad and then I'm tired but unable to sleep.Issues swallowing fluids and food so need to use a straw and cut food up small.I also have moments after episodes where I'm mute, and unable to see in my left eye though it tracks as long as my right eye does.I have balance issues, chronic headaches and migraines, and have light sentivity.Would this all be linked to FND?Really sorry for the long message, I have a total of 33 symptoms, and I'm just trying to get to the bottom of it. I've been off work 3 months because they refuse to let me back until I get a functional treatment and a solid diagnosis...

Yes your symptoms are suggestive of FND. FND is just a term for functional symptoms which are related to the neurological system. Functional symptoms are those symptoms which are of mental origin and not related to the physical.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Am I right in believing it's a disorder that is still being researched?
I've met people with FND, we all have similar symptoms, but some doctors still stigmatize it by saying it's a mental health problem when researchers suggests it's a neurological issue, not mental health. Is that right?

Yes its still under research. Some doctors believe it to be a separate issue but most doctors believe it to be a mental health issue.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Thank you for the information. I think I have all the details I need. I really appreciate it!

Glad to help.

Wish you best of health. Have a great day!

If you require help again, you can always come back to the JA site and ask your question. If you want me as your expert in the future, you can mark me as 'Favourite Expert' and use the “Ask me a new question” feature.

A bonus is always welcome!!