Dr. Su S
Dr. Su S, Board Certified MD
Experience:  MD, PhD
9324755

I was working out and I was straining quite hard and ended

Hi, I was working out and I was straining quite hard and ended up getting a very bad pain in my neck shortly and im not sure if it is serious or not.
JA: How long have you had the neck pain? Have you used any medication for it?
Customer: I have had it for only a couple of hours and I have taken some ibuprofen
JA: Got it. Have you seen a doctor about the neck pain?
Customer: No i haven't
JA: Thank you so much for your time. Finally, is there anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: No

Greetings,
I will try my best to help you.
I will answer in a moment/request for further information.

How old are you?Do you have any other symptoms?Any other past illness?

Are you on any regular medicine?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I am 19 and have no other symptoms and I have asthma which I take medicine for

Please wait.
I am writing the answer.Thank you for your patience.

Thank you for waiting.I understand your concern. I am very sorry for your symptoms.There can be muscle pull or strain.Nerve impingement can cause pain there.It can come from a disc problem of spine.Your symptom does not sound serious.Ibuprofen can help to reduce the pain.Ibuprofen needs to be taken after food to prevent stomach irritation.It can be taken 6-8 hourly.Or you can take Paracetamol for pain.
It can be taken 4-6 hourly but not to exceed 5 doses in 24 hours.You can apply heat too.I hope all these would help.If the pain does not subside with those measures, I would advise to take an examination by doctor.
Doctor can take a few tests like X ray or scan to make a management plan.
I hope this information will be helpful.If you have any query, please feel free to ask.Your satisfaction is my goal.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Okay thank you, ***** ***** quite serious as I cannot look all the way up or fully to the sides. Are those a result of muscle pull or strain or could it be something worse?

You are welcome.

Likely muscle strain.

It does not look any thing serious.

Wish you a healthy life.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Okay so how long will an injury like this take to heal?

It can take a few days to a week.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
okay thanks

You are always welcome.