Dr Hayat
Dr Hayat, Specialty Dr Internal and Critical Care Medicine
Experience:  Expert
113699036

I'm a 67 year old male in good health. When I wake up in the

I'm a 67 year old male in good health. When I wake up in the night my heart is racing. It slows down to normal after a few seconds, but it happens each night, and each time I wake up, though I sleep well. My GP has done a blood test & ecg and found no cause for concern. I've consulted an online GP via health scheme, who says there are no major worries, as I don't suffer any chest pain or shortness of breath. He says there maybe some minor irregularities that could do with checking out. Is this something that could go away on it's own? Could it be stress related?
THanks
Peter
Hi. Dr Hayat here.  Welcome to JA

Any past medical history? Any treatment you are on?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Never any heart issues or anything else. I'm on statins, and as part of checking this out my GP identified mild hypertension. It started last SEptember when I was stressed about a foreign trip, then stopped for several weeks, but started again a couple of months after

Any meds you are on ?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Artovastatin 20mg

Ok. Any problems during the day ? Like chest pains ? Shortness of breath ? Reduced exercise tolerance?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
No, none of those, which is why the GP said there was nothing major going on. Does it sound stress related? the fact that it went away when I was on holiday suggests that? No heart racing during the day, just at night. GP suggested giving up caffeine for a while. I'm not doing anything different now in terms of caffeine, alcohol etc that I wasnt doing before it started

Yes. It doesn't sound sinister.  I would advise to get a few more tests though. These are a chest xray, an echocardiography that's an ultrasound of your heart,  Pro Bnp,  an exercise tolerance test and all baseline bloods.

Meanwhile start on bisoprolol 1.25mg at night..

Anything you need to ask?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Ok. Thanks, I'll pursue those
Best wishes.  Please feel free to contact if you have any further queries or need to follow up. I would be happy to help and guide.  Have a nice day.