Dr. Nickols M
Dr. Nickols M, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Expert
115571763

I have had an extremely itchy rash on the backs of my thighs

Customer Question

Hi I have had an extremely itchy rash on the backs of my thighs for the past few months that won’t go away. It keeps getting worse and flares up at night, and sometimes spreads to my chest/arms/ankles. It looks like small raised red bumps all over the back of my thigh but there’s some hive-like bumps also. It looks quite like folliculitis but now my boyfriend has gotten it so I feel that’s unlikely and it must be something contagious instead. I’ve been having trouble sleeping without antihistamines and when I do I often wake up with cuts and bruised from itching in my sleep.
JA: How long have you been dealing with this? Does anything in particular seem to make the itch better or worse?
Customer: A few months, possibly over 5. The itch is better with antihistamines and worse at night.
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: That is all
Expert:  Dr. Nickols M replied 16 days ago.

Hello, I am Dr. Nickols M. It's a pleasure to attend to your question

Can you send me a picture?

Dear customer, it is a pleasure for me to attend to you. I will try to guide you and help you in the best possible way; what you are presenting is possibly scabies which is the infestation of the skin with the Sarcoptes scabies mite; the treatment should be done with a cream called permethrin 5% applying it from the neck to the tip of the feet taking into account that it penetrates appropriately in the region between the fingers and toes and armpits and groin should be removed with plenty of soap and water the next day, then continue with cetirizine in 10mg tablet at night before going to sleep for ten consecutive nights without interruption because if there is any interruption in the treatment the symptoms return, you may also be helpful diphenhydramine cream or caladryl applying it every 8 hours just in the areas where you have more itching. You must keep in mind that it is essential to wash with hot water the sheets and pillowcases and all the clothes that are possible in case of not being possible should be kept in a black garbage bag hermetically sealed and put in the sun throughout the day because sometimes the mattress mites can generate this situation.

From the nutritional point of view, it is helpful to reduce flour, carbohydrates, fats, fried foods, dairy products, and their derivatives and maintain plenty of hydration with at least 3 liters of water per day and urinate as clear as possible to remove any toxins that may be generating this type of situation. Remember that you can count on me, and I can help you and guide you in whatever you need; I would like you to keep me updated on your situation.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I’ve attached some photos of the rash below. I have done multiple scabies treatments already but none of them have been effective and now the rash has changed so I’m not sure what is going on.
Expert:  Dr. Nickols M replied 15 days ago.

Dear customer, valuing your intervention and seeing the images you have sent me, it is likely that initially, it was scabies, but when this type of situation has a delay in the start of treatment can generate skin lesions a little more chronic called keratitis which is characterized by inflammation in the superficial region of the skin, this type of situations must be treated with exfoliants and corticoids in cream that help to reduce the inflammation of the pores, your primary health care physician can guide you from the therapeutic point of view to see the best option according to the evolution of this situation.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
thank you very much. Must I also do another scabies treatment? do we think they are still active?

you are welcome, scabies does not appear to be active but it is important to consider treatment with medications such as permethrin.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
That’s perfect thank you very much. So have u spread the kersatitis to my boyfriend or is that possible?

No, keratitis is not contagious, scabies is.