The blood tests and chest x-ray would indicate if you have an infection and need an antibiotic.
Meanwhile the following would help you;
2) Plenty of fluids.
3) Deep breathing exercises.
4) Another important home treatment is Menthol steam inhalation - add Menthol salts (available OTC) to a bowl of steaming water and inhale the steam two-three times daily - this will relieve the congestion.
5) Vitamin C tablets will help you. They are taken 500 mg twice a day.
6) Dextromethorphan and guaifenesin combination is one of the bestA runny nose can be due to;
1) Rhinitis (nose inflammation)
2) Rhino-sinusitis (inflammation of the nose and sinuses).
These can be due to;
You would need the following investigations for the evaluation;
i) Nasal swab
ii) X-ray and CT scan of the sinuses.
Following would be the treatment protocol;
1) Nasal steroid; decrease inflammation and open up the obstruction.
2) Oral decongestants such as pseudoephedrine are often helpful.
3) Topical decongestant for a short duration.
4) Antihistamines; use only if allergic.
5) Steam vaporizer
6) Eucalyptus oil may help
7) Nasal saline irrigation
8) Vitamin C
9) Antibiotics; if nasal culture is positive and there are signs in CT scan.
For treating it naturally; steam inhalation, nasal saline water (saltwater) irrigation (can be done by Neti-pot), Vitamin C, and Eucalyptus oil inhalation can be done. The following can increase the body's immunity so help in overcoming the sinus infection;
1) Omega 3; Fish oil capsule and flaxseed oil capsule.
2) Ginkgo Biloba
3) Zinc 30 mg.
I hope your symptoms resolve soon.
I would be happy to assist you further if you need any more information.
Thanks for using JustAnswer.