Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
11269312

I am taking saw palmetto berry as i have an enlarged

Customer Question

I am taking saw palmetto berry as i have an enlarged prostate. This works for me, but I wake with a severe dry mouth a few times every night. Is there something you could recommend ? Thank you
JA: What are all your symptoms? Are you taking any medication?
Customer: Severe dry mouth.
JA: Got it. Have you seen a doctor about this?
Customer: Yes. I am taking Nordurine 0.1mg and Betmiga 50mg as well. My Doctor has no solution to this side effect
JA: Thank you so much for your time. Finally, is there anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: No
Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 8 days ago.

Hello, my name is***** I am a qualified MD with 18 years’ experience and I am happy to work with you on this.

I am reviewing your question and will be back with my response shortly.

Dry mouth is a side effect of Saw Palmetto.

You can try saliva substitutes like Biotene Dry Mouth Oral Rinse or ACT Total Care Dry Mouth Mouthwash.

You should apply them before going to sleep.

You can also ask your doctor for a prescription for pilocarpine (Salagen) which will help in this.

Hope this resolves your query. If you need more help, just write back here so l can continue to assist. Stay safe!

Dr. P. Jyoti

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
will try, thank you

Glad to help.

Wish you best of health and a quick recovery. I would like to know of your progress, please keep me informed on this thread if possible.

If you require help again, you can always come back to the JA site and ask your question. If you want me as your expert in the future, you can mark me as 'Favourite Expert' and use the “Ask me a new question” feature.

A bonus is always welcome!!